Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: DIY observation hive  (Read 3984 times)

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
DIY observation hive
« on: March 01, 2017, 08:02:01 pm »
I just built and installed my observation hive.
Here is a link for the utube vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7trkXBDjHJI&t=50s

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: DIY observation hive
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 09:03:02 pm »
Rookie,
Looks pretty good.
Matthew stole your show. Cute kid.
Two problems I think you will run into. One, with that gap which looks like it is about 1/8", a bee can flatten out and craw between it. I don't know if they can craw all the way threw but I have pulled live bees from gaps less than 1/8". They were propalising the gap.
Which brings me to the second problem, with a gap, they will propolis the frames together.
On my OH, I have my frames hanging in slots. After the bees have been in there a while it takes a hive tool to pry each one out and there is only one inch of glued wood to hold it in place. Not 18" of propolis glueing them together.
Good luck with it. Hope it works for you and I know you will learn a lot from it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 09:34:26 pm »
Thanks Jim, Matthew spends most his time with me as he is homeschooled.

That gap is wider in some spots and really close together in some as well. I put #8 wire mesh all around to see if any areas are greater than, and none where. In fact there is only one spot that is equal and that is on the end bar side where I can push a small piece of cloth in it. But, the propolis is my greatest worry too. I am hoping that if it becomes a problem that sharpening the shims will cut through it. (I hope)

I am learning already. I put a very small colony in one frame, (size of my hand) and on top that put a frame of bees and brood from a strong hive. I gave it about 12 hours with hardware cloth separating them so they get used to each other. I pulled the screen out slightly to allow them to mix. I saw a couple bees come up from the Queen side and they got balled right away. I felt bad, but wasn't nothing I could do for them. I closed the wire back. I will try again tomorrow.

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 12:07:10 am »
Neat build.  My wife would kill me if i did that in our house lol!

Ya some gaps had me wondering too...  but you will find out soon enough if bees escape!

I wouldnt think 12 hours would be enough time at all..

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 12:18:59 am »
Sniper, its not where we live, but my dads trailer before he passed. It sits next door to me and i use the trailer for my bee business and storage and honey kitchen now.

I will definitely find out if they get out for sure. They dont have access to all panels yet either because there just not enough bees. So as it grows i will allow more access. Thats another good thing about it. I can condense what they can defend from beetles.

And i should learn more info on combines with this. I feel i will learn alot more quickly now. As i have read jim say in the past how ob hives teach alot.

Offline DeepCreek

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 02:22:27 pm »
Your very first statement was, "It's not my design... and I will post a link where you can buy plans".  Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see it in the video or in the description?

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 02:34:06 pm »
You have to view it in youtube, to see description and comments. Copy url and open it in browser. You just cant see it on this site.

Offline windowbee

• New Bee
  • Demonstration observation WindowBee hives
    • WindowBee hive
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 05:34:30 am »
Good job. I hope You will enjoy It!
I have observations beehives too.
Please let me know how about varrosis infection after Year bee keeping.
I have remark that varroa mite can not live in observation hives keeped ar home during winter.

You can watch Your bees any time You want just from Your flat...
Check on www.windowbee.com

anything