Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bear attacked my hives oh no, please no!!!  (Read 18444 times)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Bear attacked my hives oh no, please no!!!
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2018, 02:13:34 pm »
I once followed a Bluetick dog from 5:30 to 10:00 trying to find a 6 point.
Jim

Oh boy Jim, not in NY that can really hurt your wallet.  If you get too far in such that it is dark when you come out of the woods you better not have any ammo in the gun and don't think about dragging the dear out.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2018, 03:03:48 pm »
I was in a wildlife management area, had to get permission to take the dog in and no guns were allowed.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2018, 03:12:44 pm »
Thanks Brian.  I don't hunt either. I use to but I don't have time for it anymore. Yep that is what you ask and was your original question.  Anyway interesting (debate) y'all had going about this.
One thing that I didn't mention in my last post is the come back of bears here in my state.  From what I have been told , some bear have swam the Mississippi River and now are gaining a foot hold around Rosedale, Mississippi. Now that is one critter that I don't look forward to making a comeback!! Hee hee
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Super Bee
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2018, 07:19:54 pm »
Well, it looks like you took it a lot harder than it was meant. Maybe my old skin is just a lot tougher than yours. I meant for it to go over lightly, but if it hit you as being hard, then go ahead and throw it back as hard as you wish. I will understand. No hard feelings on this end.
iddee How long would these people last on 'coffee house'? soon to run out of apologies! :wink: :smile:
cider
What's good for bees is usually good for mankind. Doesn't that mean sharing?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2018, 08:51:09 pm »
Cider, all people are individuals. I try to treat everyone as I feel they are comfortable. All members aren't as tough as grizzlies with corns on their toes, as you and I are.   :wink:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2018, 09:21:17 pm »
Well, it looks like you took it a lot harder than it was meant. Maybe my old skin is just a lot tougher than yours. I meant for it to go over lightly, but if it hit you as being hard, then go ahead and throw it back as hard as you wish. I will understand. No hard feelings on this end.
iddee How long would these people last on 'coffee house'? soon to run out of apologies! :wink: :smile:
cider

Well since iddee directed the above statement  toward me, I can only assume that you are as well. So administrator or not , rule or not I will defend myself!, Unlike any whimp that sits by and rolls over to the bredset agreement and gives up his the right to defend his country, himself or his family!!  And if that type person don't like it he can kiss my mules daddy!! Ah haa haa haa  😉😀😀
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2018, 09:27:36 pm »
Cider, all people are individuals. I try to treat everyone as I feel they are comfortable. All members aren't as tough as grizzlies with corns on their toes, as you and I are.   :wink:

That goes for you to Mr tough skin !! Ah haa haa haa 😉

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #107 on: October 31, 2018, 09:29:01 pm »
HEY, By golly, Ben, I think you might just fit right in. Welcome to the sandpaper hide group. :cheesy:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #108 on: October 31, 2018, 09:35:27 pm »
HEY, By golly, Ben, I think you might just fit right in. Welcome to the sandpaper hide group. :cheesy:

Ah haa haa haa;  thanks iddee 😉

Offline cidersabuzzin

• Super Bee
« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2018, 05:04:16 am »
I agree iddee but looking at the last couple of replies it still begs the question "are they real"? :wink:
What's good for bees is usually good for mankind. Doesn't that mean sharing?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #110 on: November 01, 2018, 10:16:03 am »
I agree iddee but looking at the last couple of replies it still begs the question "are they real"? :wink:

Jim, I really want to follow the rules, I am really trying to give the respect that is deserved. I realize Mr Cidersabuzzin wants to instigate and cut up in class, as he also knows I have been sitting on the bench and seems to be making faces at me.. ah haa haa haa.. So I must answer Mr  "CidersABuzzard""this one more time hopefully with a hall pass from you . Ah haa haa haa .

Well iddee, it looks like our cousin from across the water, (The Instigator), doesn't have the good kinesthesia, (sense), to know when he has been bombed and fumigated!  😉 Ah haa haa haa
PS I really would like to play more but I have work to do !! Hee hee 😉
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 10:39:19 am by Ben Framed »

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2018, 10:48:59 pm »
Well put Phillip.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #112 on: November 04, 2018, 01:05:48 am »
I was looking at a video on youtube and I noticed this video!
Titled:
Grizzly bear takes shotgun blast at point-blank range and keeps charging

woo wee!!

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2018, 11:14:17 am »
Phill, I have nothing against hunting or hunters.  But I am a realist.  Many hunted animals are wounded whether intentional or not.  Most in my neck of the woods will not be found before they are eaten by another wild animal.
If you go back to my original post #59 the use of a 22 was worded as a question nothing to do with hunting and everything to do with protection of livestock.

I am saying that intentionally wounding a bear with an inadequate caliber firearm is not on my list of acceptable methods.
Hops, to my knowledge trapping is still legal and a leg trap will inflict a heck of a lot of pain usually for a long period of time.  And then when the animal is found it is finished off and only the fur is kept.

Van, back on topic.  Strapping however it is done is better than nothing but no match for bears in our woods.  Good luck.  I hope it works for you.
The intent of a leg trap is to capture and hold the target fur critter until killed by the trapper.  Traps are laid one day, critter gets trapped at night, trapper picks up next day.  The intent is to capture, not to wound and release to get sick and die.   Intentionally wounding an animal is an abuse of the animal, abuse of natural resources and an abuse of the right to keep and bear arms.  It is immoral.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2018, 10:56:08 pm »
Titled:

woo wee!!
Bet someone had to get changed. That was amazing. Never aim to injure a charging animal.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #115 on: November 05, 2018, 11:03:15 pm »
Titled:

woo wee!!
Bet someone had to get changed. That was amazing. Never aim to injure a charging animal.
Jim

Jim, I almost had to get changed just watching it !! 😁

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #116 on: November 05, 2018, 11:18:23 pm »
Titled:

woo wee!!
Jim

Jim, I almost had to get changed just watching it !! 😁
I was puckering up. 😊
Ben Franklin

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #117 on: November 13, 2018, 10:15:40 am »
First line of defense in bear country is a proper electric fence.
Secondary precautions could be to strap hives down securely so bears that might come through the fence have trouble getting to the brood comb. (That is what they are after)
You could add security lights which come on when a  large animal moves near the apiary.

Finally, if you have a problem bear who will bull their way through other precautions...a firearm.
Such a bear is dangerous.
You might fire in the ground one time to scare such a bear off.
If that doesn't work, you should use lethal force. Never ever, ever, ever, shoot to wound a bear!!!!!
If you wound a bear you are being inhumane to the bear.
In addition that bear is now a threat to you and anyone else it comes in contact with. It could charge a neighbor down the road the next day.

Before such an encounter, talk with your local game warden. Discuss the fact that you have taken reasonable precautions to prevent this bear from destroying your private property and killing your livestock. (Your colonies of bees are considered livestock) I know 2 beekeepers in my area who were told that if they have to shoot and kill a bear, to leave the bear where it lies and call the warden. Our local authorities understand the issue.

If you must shoot a bear, what should you use? Do not use buckshot. Do not use Walmart special slugs. These rounds are not designed to put a bear down. If you have a highpower rifle, use it with a heavy grain round. If you must use a 12 gauge shotgun, order Brennekke black magic slugs. They are built to punch through the thick bone of a bear and drop them quickly. The skin of a bear isn't the problem. It's the hard bone covered in thick fat. Practice shooting many times so that you are accurate.   

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #118 on: November 13, 2018, 11:01:52 am »
Just a thought. I have used A  radio talk show playing all night, for deer this works about 3-4 weeks.  also a solar motion light.  this is a temporary fix. I got a metronome for my heart yesterday (pace maker)  typing one handed mostly.  Ill have time to read keep info coming , thanks yall

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #119 on: November 29, 2021, 04:52:01 am »
Titled:

woo wee!!
Jim

I was reminded of this video when this topic was brought to my memory a few days ago. At the time of that quoted video title above, I had been posting here but only a few months and was still learning my way 'around', I had not yet learned how to post videos here.
I have taken the liberty to post a copy of that video now. Notice the guy was shuffling backward and lost his shoe! Almost falling! The bear was so mad it grabbed the guys shoe for a split second, which might have given him just enough time to make it to safety???

To play this video simply touch the bottom >Watch on YouTube< on the designated screen below,  and it should play for you..

This following video is CC for the hearing impaired.

https://youtu.be/WdyjUxOaBSc
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 07:19:33 pm by Ben Framed »