Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Long Island, New York  (Read 3064 times)

Offline incognito

• House Bee
Hello from Long Island, New York
« on: April 21, 2019, 10:32:20 am »
I am a new beekeeper looking to keep my two backyard colonies alive. My 34 year old son thought this would be a fun adventure for him and his sister and knew that he could draw me into the action. Living in an apartment in Brooklyn, part of his plan was to locate the apiary on either my or my daughter's property. When that didn't go over so well he got his grandmother to agree to be the host site. (only a few miles from me). Grandma insisted that her only role would be keeping the water font filled but by the time the packages were installed and settled yesterday afternoon/evening she was assisting the few remaining bees on the ground get to the entrance.

The three of us joined LI Beekeepers club and attended their introductory beekeeping classes. I have watched about 100 YouTube videos. I have read and reread The Beekeeper's handbook.

So I will be asking a ton of newbee questions and look forward to advice from the forum. Medium frame supers on the standard hive.

ETA:
1 - 8 frame flow system hive
1 - 10 frame  Langstroth hive
1 - 10 frame  Langstroth hive to be used to to catch or keep a swarm - still in the box.

I am hoping to have two deep brood chambers in the permanent hives.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 10:45:21 am by incognito »
Tom

Offline cao

• Super Bee
Re: Hello from Long Island, New York
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 10:59:36 am »
Welcome  :happy:

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 03:02:46 pm »
Welcome, and "ask away". You've come to the right place imho. Some truely wonderful people here who are extremely knowledgeable and kind enough to help beginners. Enjoy!

Alan
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 04:35:35 pm »
Welcome Incognito! :smile:
Neill

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 12:30:58 am »
Welcome!
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 08:35:50 am »
thanks for the welcomes.
Tom

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 10:34:53 am »
Welcome to Beemaster. This is the place to ask questions.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 12:10:20 am »
Welcome! "My 34 year old son thought this would be a fun adventure for him and his sister and knew that he could draw me into the action "
Your son was right!  I have a friend which lives in Greenport, further east and on the Northfork of Long Island.
Phillip 
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 12:31:49 am »
Welcome! "My 34 year old son thought this would be a fun adventure for him and his sister and knew that he could draw me into the action "
Your son was right!  I have a friend which lives in Greenport, further east and on the Northfork of Long Island.
Phillip
I know Greenport. I own a resort condominium in Greenport which I rent out, C204 at The Cliffside Resort. The tourism and wine industries are a mixed blessing/curse for the local residents. Living in Smithtown makes me an "Up-Islander" to the local residents. I also hunt deer on the North Fork as part of Southold's deer management and nuisance programs.
Tom

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 12:50:34 am »
Phillip
I know Greenport. I own a resort condominium in Greenport which I rent out, C204 at The Cliffside Resort. The tourism and wine industries are a mixed blessing/curse for the local residents. Living in Smithtown makes me an "Up-Islander" to the local residents. I also hunt deer on the North Fork as part of Southold's deer management and nuisance programs.

Well the world is getting smaller! Her dad and mom lived in the Hamptons, became my neighbors when they bought a small horse farm right down the road form me. I am a horse person myself. My friends dad was a pilot for Federal Express, (now retired). and moved here to be close to the Memphis Headquarters. I have heard so much about Long Island that I feel I am an off of the premises resident :grin:  I hope you and your family enjoy the bees to the fullest extent!
Phillip
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:42:36 am by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline incognito

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 09:47:50 am »
Grandma insisted that her only role would be keeping the water font filled but by the time the packages were installed and settled yesterday afternoon/evening she was assisting the few remaining bees on the ground get to the entrance.
Grandma has taken up great interest in the bees. A while ago she picked up Beekeeping for Dummies and she has been giving us advice ever since.
This past weekend she joined the local beekeeping club.
Beekeeping is infectious.

Tom

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 09:59:28 am »
Grandma insisted that her only role would be keeping the water font filled but by the time the packages were installed and settled yesterday afternoon/evening she was assisting the few remaining bees on the ground get to the entrance.
Grandma has taken up great interest in the bees. A while ago she picked up Beekeeping for Dummies and she has been giving us advice ever since.
This past weekend she joined the local beekeeping club.
Beekeeping is infectious.

That is awesome!!

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 01:20:37 pm »
That's cute!! That'll keep Grandma young!  :grin:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln