BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > EQUIPMENT USAGE, EXPERIMENTATION, HIVE PLANS, CONSTRUCTION TIPS AND TOOLS

Sieving honey

(1/5) > >>

SouthAussieBeekeeper:
I have a stainless steel honey sieve. I've constantly had trouble with it, honey too often gets clogged up in the second chamber. In the past I didn't have a good way of heating up honey, and I thought that was why I've been having these difficulties. Recently I did heat up my bucket thoroughly, the honey was warm, thin and fluid and yet, it still got clogged in the sieve. Here's a photo of it:

https://imgur.com/a/v2KOXr6

I figure I might have honey that's thicker than usual. Either way, I've come to conclude that this honey sieve is crap. It can't consistently sieve honey. Because of this I've been bottling honey that's not as pure of wax particles as I'd like.

What's a better method to strain honey?

G3farms:
Looks like your honey has started to crystallize and that is what is causing the strainer to clog up.

I have a bottling tank (16 gallon) that is made like a double boiler, it has a water jacket on the outside. I heat my honey to about 100*F  and let it warm over night to thoroughly heat it. The honey is thin enough to fill bottles and the air bubble to come to the top. The big plus is it will break down the sugar crystals in the honey.

How are you heating your honey?
Are you letting it warm up completely?
Stirring the honey as it heats helps greatly.

SouthAussieBeekeeper:
It was crystallizing because I left it like that for over a week due to frustration with it.

I heated the honey up at about the same temperature: 38 Celcius, for two days. The honey was warm and fluid like melted butter.

I have a chest fridge with a heater in it. I place what I wish to heat up in the fridge, and turn the heater on.

I've been apprehensive of stirring the honey. I didn't stir any of this one, maybe if I did it would have worked. In the past I found if I stir the honey too much it turns into a creamed honey like substance and then it'll never strain.

G3farms:
I use to heat 5 gallon buckets of crystallized honey with a band heater (and would cover it with a heavy blanket for insulation) and found that there were still cold spots with in the bucket after two days. a good stir would help to eliminate the cold spots.

Never made any creamed honey before, but sounds lie you don't have your honey warm enough through out the entire bucket.

Not sure of the kinds of nectar the bees in your part of the world are foraging on, but it could be that it will crystallize very fast.

minz:
I have a couple of the 400 micron plastic filters and seen the stainless two stage filter on amazon for half price and got it.
It does not work for me and clogs up all the time.  Maybe the plastic one expands and allows the honey to flow? Maybe I am just able to use the soft plastic spatula to go over the bottom of the plastic when it stops up but the metal one just clogs harder?
I tried it a couple of times so hopefully we will get some decent advice or it is going to sit on the shelf.
I thought the larger filter above the fine one would have been the ticket

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version