Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beekeeping jacket and hat veil  (Read 3938 times)

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
Re: Beekeeping jacket and hat veil
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2018, 10:36:47 pm »
Chances are probably one in a million.... but with my luck

John 3:16

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2018, 07:16:19 pm »
It's my first year beekeeping (got packages in April), and instead of getting an actually bee suit or jacket, I purchased some cotton Dickies coveralls, and I really like them.  I have yet to get stung while wearing them.  I always wear a veil, even if all I'm doing is just putting in some sugar syrup.  I'd rather take the extra minute to put the veil on than get a sting in/near my eyes or a big vein/artery in my neck.  Plus I have thick, long hair, and I've heard bees hate getting tangled in hair.  I've only been stung once so far, but oddly it wasn't while I was even in the hive.  I was just standing watching the entrance and one flew by and bumped into my arm and got stuck under my watch!  First time I've ever been stung by any bee.  That really made me ALWAYS put a veil on though, because that same scenario could easily happen with my glasses instead of my watch.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2018, 09:23:55 am »
because that same scenario could easily happen with my glasses instead of my watch.   
To be honest if you were so inclined to not wear a veil than a pair of grinding goggles would be good protection for doing inspections.  We typically see bees hovering around a hive but they can fly pretty fast.  Guard bees most often come from between the frames like a streak of lightning.  I have had them ping off the face of my veil on occasions.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 02:38:34 pm by Acebird »
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2018, 09:44:13 am »
The worst time for being stung is when you open the hive. Startled guard bees fly straight out, at lightning speed,  and will sting anything within 2 feet. If you open the lid towards your self, they go to the face. If you open it away from you, they come out, don?t hit anything and then calm down and go back to the hive.
Jim
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 12:44:35 pm by sawdstmakr »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2018, 10:35:07 am »
Although the advice is good and I would not refute it, statistically eyeball stings are extremely rare, like getting struck by lightning rare. No need to stay up nights worrying about it. No fun to live in unwarranted fear.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2018, 02:44:34 pm »
The worst time for being stung is when you open the hive.

So far my stings have been 20-30 minutes of poking around in the hive and the bees have had enough of me.  They don't mind fiddling with honey frames but they don't like digging into the brood nest.  I am sure it is because I do not frequent the brood nest often so the frames are near impossible to remove.  It is also the most heavily populated.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2018, 09:16:03 pm »
Chances are probably one in a million.... but with my luck

It happened fast, but I'm  pretty sure I knocked her out of my eye with my lash and she got me on the bottom of the eyesocket instead.

I'm a veil man from now on.

I went shopping and found a veil I like where I can see thru the mesh better. So I'm not wanting to take it off in order to see in the cells.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2018, 12:36:56 am »
Although the advice is good and I would not refute it, statistically eyeball stings are extremely rare, like getting struck by lightning rare. No need to stay up nights worrying about it. No fun to live in unwarranted fear.

Rare yes--- possible yes.... there are plenty people who have been struck by lightning multiple times  :wink: It is you decision whether to roll the dice or not....
John 3:16

anything