Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Built Slotted Rack Today  (Read 1363 times)

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
Built Slotted Rack Today
« on: February 22, 2020, 06:59:07 pm »
Want to give my bees the best (children are all grown and on their own  :wink:); so, built a slotted rack today for the only hive I have right now, an 8 frame garden hive in the back yard made of Eastern Red Cedar.

41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Built Slotted Rack Today
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 07:06:15 pm »
Your craftsmanship looks like fine work. Will you briefly describe the use or purpose of a slotted rack?
Thanks,
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 07:49:47 pm »
Your craftsmanship looks like fine work. Will you briefly describe the use or purpose of a slotted rack?
Thanks,
Phillip

Thank you, Phillip.

When I got through and described it to Mary she said it is like a bee lobby!

It is inserted between the bottom board and brood chamber.  It creates a relatively draft free air space so the queen will lay eggs plumb to the bottom of the frames just above it.  When it gets really hot the bees can hang out there instead of bearding outside and it provides staging for those that fan to circulate just the right amount of current within the hive.

I'll need to rebuild my cover because it is both ugly and lacks ventilation -- we're not on the South Plains here were it cools off after sunset but in the Permian Basin where our summer nights stay hot.

I built it combining the old fashioned way of having the slats perpendicular to the frames but in the contemporary way with a 4" board at the front over the entrance.

This hive has top space only so the frames go to zero.  Therefore, I built the top of the slotted rack with 3/8" space. Then, going down we have the 3/4x3/4" slot pieces and next 7/8" of clear space (the lobby).

My entrance is 3/8x5 inches; so, not much air, either cold or hot, getting in!  But the key is how to manage it.  That is what the slotted rack helps to do as I understand it.

For hive cover ventilation I'm thinking about 7/8" screened holes that can be plugged with wine bottle corks!  LOL
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 10:22:29 pm by FatherMichael »
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 07:58:18 pm »
Father Michael, Blessings.  The bee lobby is above the entrance?  The solid board on the bee lobby is directly above the bee entrance with the slats towards the back?

Health to your bees.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 08:17:44 pm »
"When I got through and described it to Mary she said it is like a bee lobby!"

I like the way your Mary described it! Lol  This sounds promising to those of us who do expertise bearding. Thank you for sharing this with us.
Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 08:26:10 pm »
Father Michael, Blessings.  The bee lobby is above the entrance?  The solid board on the bee lobby is directly above the bee entrance with the slats towards the back?

Health to your bees.

The lobby is just inside and "ceiling" is higher than the entrance, yes. The picture shows it upside down.

Yes, the solid board is above the entrance.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 10:11:41 pm by FatherMichael »

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 04:35:43 pm »
I've never used one, and thought it useful in the North, where the bees may have an advantage in cool weather.  You will have to keep us up on how it's working for you.

"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 04:59:44 pm »
I use slatted racks on all my hives.  They help to keep the hives cool in the summer by giving the bees a place to fan near the entrance, and they help keep the hives warmer in the winter by providing a "dead space" of air right inside the entrance.  Here's a good article about them.  https://www.honeybeesuite.com/slatted-racks-everything-you-need-to-know/     
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 08:36:17 am »
I've been considering going back to slatted racks this year myself....

Offline FatherMichael

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 06:31:16 pm »
The two thin walled hives in our backyard (one with bees so far) need any extra help we can provide.

Trying to figure out a roof system that can be vented in the heat of the summer but also insulated in the winter.

The Paradise hives have a screened bottom that can be closed up and vented covers with plugs.  But they are insulated from the jump, being made of hardened polyurethane foam.  That's a lot of moving parts!

anything