Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can You describe your yearly system of of beekeeping?  (Read 1958 times)

Offline rothbart

• New Bee
Can You describe your yearly system of of beekeeping?
« on: April 01, 2021, 04:03:27 pm »
This is my fourth year I think.. started with yellow year, now is white color.

I can describe what i did so far.. Don't know what will follow later..

Ok.. first hive control was  before about march 15, and 15 C .. now I wait till 18 C
and this is end of march. So this year first control end of march.

What I did is put nest down on first position (Langstroth and about 45N near sea weather. In short, mediterranean climate)

Nest on first position with clean bottom board, no rotation this year of the box.

In this box I let 5 frames of brood, all the rest go in second box up. Near the brood
I put two empty frames for queen to lay. One frame near end is for drone brood to
catch varroa. The rest is food in the first box.

Up is the rest of brood and about 5 empty frames and two frames for building.
The rest is mostly honey. And this is it so far.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Can You describe your yearly system of of beekeeping?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 04:24:56 pm »
This is my fourth year I think.. started with yellow year, now is white color.

I can describe what i did so far.. Don't know what will follow later..

Ok.. first hive control was  before about march 15, and 15 C .. now I wait till 18 C
and this is end of march. So this year first control end of march.

What I did is put nest down on first position (Langstroth and about 45N near sea weather. In short, mediterranean climate)

Nest on first position with clean bottom board, no rotation this year of the box.

In this box I let 5 frames of brood, all the rest go in second box up. Near the brood
I put two empty frames for queen to lay. One frame near end is for drone brood to
catch varroa. The rest is food in the first box.

Up is the rest of brood and about 5 empty frames and two frames for building.
The rest is mostly honey. And this is it so far.

I will use your post as a guideline. My first years queens were marked red according to the international guide for yearly queen colors. My first hives were via the cutout method. Later in the season I ordered 4 queens from barnyard bees. Split the bees into 5 nucs as I lost a couple of my hard earned cutouts to SHB that season, (just one of many learning experiences). I made available open pollen through out the winter.

Next year of green queens, I expanded to several hives, not so much looking for honey, but bees. Even so I was plesently surprised at the goodly amount of honey. Blue season was good. Past Fall, I overwintered with double brood boxes with another box of empty comb on top, so far so good. I have rotated brood boxes recently and the comb on top is already being used for honey storage. Bees came out of winter "extremely" strong. So far so good. I have found only 1 swarm cell. I plan on replacing most of the older queens and am in the process of beginning queen rearing for this purpose. (Now in day 3 of the Bob Binnie method), I figure the cross of my feral bees and Barnyard bee stock should continue to be a sturdy, sound, hardy, gentle, great strain of honey producing bee. Again so far so good!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 07:21:56 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Can You describe your yearly system of of beekeeping?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 05:33:56 pm »
My year of beekeeping.

Wait for a sunny day at mid March
Go for a walk through knee deep snow in the beeyards. Remove snow from entrances and look for who is alive and who is dead by what comes out of the entrance to greet the sun.
End of march.  Plow snow for vehicle access.  Do another walk around to see whos left and getting ready to play. Heft some to get a gauge on food or starvation. Play the undertaker role. Cleanup and clear out the dead..
Middle of April. Open the first hive and begin cleaning. Balance and boost strengths. Feed if needed. 
End of April. Look for queen failures. Balancing strengths. Check mite loads.  Setup drone mothers. Treat and feed.
Middle of May. Makeup and sell nucs. Prime the production hives.
June, raise queens and repopulate the winter nucs. Draw out all new foundation combs on dandelions shrubs and weeds.
July. Crops bloom. Intense Production. Hives are 5 to 7 deeps tall full of honey. Harvest and extract from each hive, bees refill the boxes 3 times, 3 harvests.
Mid August. All supers removed and hives reduced to singles or doubles.  Mite treatments applied. 
September. Feed to hives and winter nucs to target winter weights
October cdn thanks giving. Round of checks to see who is still alive and who mite crashed. Cleanup and clear out the dead. Weigh hives.  Top up feed. Winter wrap.
Halloween.  Batten down the hatches and walk away.
Drink coco, rum, read, write, snowmobile, ice fish, ski all winter. 
Got back trudging through the snow at the next March and do it all again.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 05:44:12 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline rothbart

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 06:36:01 pm »

I will use your post as a guideline.

Your bees are ahead of mine it seems. I have to change my last year system and
don't know yet where this will take me.  Keep in mind I need peak bees by the 1. may.

Offline rothbart

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 06:40:02 pm »
Hives are 5 to 7 deeps tall full of honey.

And I am happy if I make 15 kg per hive  :smile:  But one day.. one day there will be honey.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 06:41:36 pm »
Hives are 5 to 7 deeps tall full of honey.

And I am happy if I make 15 kg per hive  :smile:  But one day.. one day there will be honey.

Yes there will! Keep plugging at it...  😊
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 07:16:18 am »

Your bees are ahead of mine it seems. I have to change my last year system and
don't know yet where this will take me.  Keep in mind I need peak bees by the 1. may.

I Change something every year it seems. I am still learning and it seems I still have a lot to learn :-)

Offline rothbart

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 08:27:13 am »

I Change something every year..

Is good You are enthusiastic about bees. I am the same, but not everybody.
This one beekeeper I visit sometimes is sick of my new ideas. Every time I
bring something new. Last time italian cages for queens.. You know, varroa fight..
He didn't want to hear about it, nor try it. He has his amitraz system and that's it.
Well I guess will keep new stuff for myself and be quiet.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 09:40:18 am »
There  are many type of people in the world. Your ideas are welcome to be shared here. We members have several headings to choose from. Some members might be interested and appreciate new ideas that make sense, and some may not be so interested. Either way, chose a heading and state your thoughts and questions, or simply comment on other members thoughts and questions. Welcome

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 11:04:47 am »

Is good You are enthusiastic about bees. I am the same, but not everybody.
This one beekeeper I visit sometimes is sick of my new ideas. Every time I
bring something new. Last time italian cages for queens.. You know, varroa fight..
He didn't want to hear about it, nor try it. He has his amitraz system and that's it.
Well I guess will keep new stuff for myself and be quiet.
There  are many type of people in the world. Your ideas are welcome to be shared here. We members have several headings to choose from. Some members might be interested and appreciate new ideas that make sense, and some may not be so interested. Either way, chose a heading and state your thoughts and questions, or simply comment on other members thoughts and questions. Welcome
I absolutely agree with Ben Framed on this.  We here at Beemaster love ideas.  I'm trying a few out myself this year.  :smile:  It's a shame when people are overly stuck in their ways and make newbees feel like they can't experiment.  You never know what you'll figure out if you try new things.  Maybe others thinks it's a good idea, maybe they think it's a bad idea, but you'll never know if you don't try.   
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.