Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fig Trees  (Read 6317 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Fig Trees
« on: May 07, 2014, 10:06:11 pm »
I have six fig trees in the ground. Most I just rooted in the last year or two. I've been waiting for them to show some life but only about two or maybe three have made an effort to put forth leaves. As far as I could tell the rest are dead. I went up the road to a place called "Petals from the Past". It's owned and operated by local folks. Dr Arlie Powell (retired Auburn U (ag-fruit Professor) is on staff there as well as a lot of other family members. If you go to the extension agency and get info sheets on growing fruit Dr Powell's name will probably be on it.

anyway, I was talking with some of the staff and they mentioned that they had lost a "lot" of their fig trees this winter because of the cold. Anyone else lose any? It wasn't just one and two year old trees either.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Fig Trees
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 11:01:55 pm »
You know how they bunch out, from sprouts, I loose a couple every year or so.  I got a bunch of fig trees, noticed today they have loads of tiny figs on them now.  I have the old Brown Turkey figs.  They have been for a long long time.  Last year we didn't get many, but in years past we have got as much as 15/16 gals a picking on good years.  We haven't got that much since Katrina though,  but still get a bunch.  I have given friends a neighbors sprouts over the years.  Good luck Gary

Joe

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 11:07:59 pm »
We try to dehydrate a lot of them as well as can. Man! you talk about some good eating...
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 05:02:53 am »
I grow them in MI, and it gets pretty cold here. easy to proliferate from cuttings too, so might as well just in case they do die off, I guess.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 07:46:37 am »
BtB; Do you grow them in containers or in the ground? I was told that they don't grow north of the Mason Dixon line. Just curious.

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 11:12:27 am »
I actually grow them in containers, however, I know someone else who is far more north than I am, that actually does grow them in the ground, so I know they will grow in the ground here. and the guy claims he doesn't do anything special for them (But I seen the fig trees and they are indeed in  the ground.) but the person it is I do not know really, and he seems like a sort of crafty guy, so am not sure I totally believe him when he claims he does 'nothing'...what he may do though I do not know and he didn't tell me....but I did have some of his figs and they were great, he evidently gets a good flush. only one a year though, not two.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 11:11:46 pm »
When I lived in SE Michigan, I had a buddy that grew 2 fig trees in the ground.  He would baby those trees like nobodies business. :)  In the fall he would wrap the trees with chicken coup wire and then fill them up with leaves for insulation/wind protection.  Seemed like a lot of work to me, but it worked.  I don't grow fig trees here, but if I did, I would plant in containers like B2B and bring them into a sheltered area for the winter. 

You never know when we're going to get a brutal winter up here.  Although the odds seem to go up as a function of how many tender plants a person sticks in the ground. 

Offline dawgdrvr

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 03:52:33 pm »
Hi, have any of you been to the figs4fun or gardenweb fig forums? over at f4f there is a wealth of kn owlage about winterising your figs. Also info on doing the fig shuffle  (bringing potted figs out from the shed/garage/barn on a nice sunny day in  Dec or Jan.) I live south of Seattle and grow 26 different types of figs. both potted and in-ground. Last fall I had 32 trees,  I lost 5 in-ground to harsh winter winds and the other to a rabbit who girdled my Vern's Brown Turkey.
Saving the world one Bee at a time.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 04:19:49 pm »
Thanks for the info dawg. Around here we pretty much put them in the ground and watch them grow. As everywhere else this winter was a little tough on some plants.

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 09:13:35 am »
give it a little wind protection like south side o a building,  in the open they will ocasionly freeze off even here with no protection; but 66 and only seen it 2 times
to bee or not to bee

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 12:19:51 pm »
I like Dates. any one have real date palms

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 04:29:52 pm »
I live south of Seattle and grow 26 different types of figs. both potted and in-ground. Last fall I had 32 trees,  I lost 5 in-ground to harsh winter winds and the other to a rabbit who girdled my Vern's Brown Turkey.

wow... 32 varieties.... seems to me like a good source for cuttings to me....put em in a priority box for $5 shipping and on to Michigan they can go....what do you say pal? I have brown turkey myself, I would really like black mission, Hardy chicago , verta, marsiellus or O'rouke. and would gladly pay for shipping/etc.