Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Checking a hive that is being(robbed?)  (Read 3273 times)

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
Checking a hive that is being(robbed?)
« on: June 14, 2015, 10:20:56 pm »
I think this hive is being robbed, I had hoped the bees were moving in but I don't think so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqVC5t36e8Y
Lori

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Checking a hive that is being(robbed?)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 05:29:38 am »
Lori,
I was cringing every time you pushed your hive tool down between the frames and again when you put your hand down into the box to scrape off the mold.
If there had been bees living in this hive, you would have had some very mad bees.
I recomend removing the outer frames first then move frames over to make room where the frames are that you were trying to get to.
Instead of driving your hive tool down ward, use the other end. Put it between the frames and then twist to to separate the frames. Then lift them out.
You can scrape the bottom out the way you were doing it but just remove enough frames so that your glove is not killing lots of bees and your queen.
Sorry to sound so negative, but if that had been a full hive, you could end up with a whole hive boiling out on you and from then after they would seem like a mean hive.
Remember bees treat you like you treat them.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 10:20:22 am »
Lori,
I was cringing every time you pushed your hive tool down between the frames and again when you put your hand down into the box to scrape off the mold.
If there had been bees living in this hive, you would have had some very mad bees.
I recomend removing the outer frames first then move frames over to make room where the frames are that you were trying to get to.
Instead of driving your hive tool down ward, use the other end. Put it between the frames and then twist to to separate the frames. Then lift them out.
You can scrape the bottom out the way you were doing it but just remove enough frames so that your glove is not killing lots of bees and your queen.
Sorry to sound so negative, but if that had been a full hive, you could end up with a whole hive boiling out on you and from then after they would seem like a mean hive.
Remember bees treat you like you treat them.
Jim
Thanks for watching. I probably wouldn't of done that to frames full of bees but there were no bees on those frames. I didn't squish any bees  :happy:
Lori

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 11:22:07 am »
Oh, at that point, I thought you were still looking to see what was in the hive.
Good luck with your bees.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline theOZer

• New Bee
  • Backyard Beekeeper, Life Enthusiast, Game On!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 12:09:26 pm »
Seriously.  Beehive on rotting pallet.  No mouse screen; come on in all and every bug in the neighborhood.  And you expect a bee colony to live there.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:18:03 am by theOZer »
Love Bees