Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Why cut-outs  (Read 4537 times)

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
Why cut-outs
« on: February 05, 2015, 09:27:19 pm »
I am wondering if everyone is getting paid for cut-outs?

I have read about and seen many photos and say to myself, "they have to be getting paid for all that time and effort". Right, because rearing and splitting is far easier if you are wanting more colonies?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Why cut-outs
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 10:06:07 pm »
Yes, I charge. So much, I usually give the bees to a helper or the home owner if they want them. I would guess about 20% on average, make it through the first winter. It is not a great way to increase hive count.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 10:55:39 pm »
I charge to cover cost of supplies to add to my apries. Equipment cost a lot . but I do like doing them. Its a challenge for me.

John

Offline GDRankin

• House Bee
    • The Bee Place
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 02:53:43 pm »
Yes I do charge for cutouts . . .  but I try to be reasonable because I realize that no one has "bee removal" in their budget.

It can be a LOT of work, depending on the circumstances, sometimes a couple of hours and other  times a full day or more. I charge a "service call" fee that includes the trip charge, the set up and first hours worth work. Then an hourly fee for every hour after the first hour. I am typically not super rigid and will normally round down to the nearest hour. I also give senior citizen discounts and have other considerations, based on an individual basis.

Like John, I also enjoy the challenge and I really enjoy seeing all the different configurations of comb structures and such. I'm just now going into my second season, so I'm kind of like a kid in a candy store to some degree. I take my good camera and get lots of high end pics to document what I find. Most are inside some sort of cavity, but I've done a few removals that were open air and really interesting to see. Check out the pics section of my website or facebook (links below) to see some of these, some are really amazing. (to me anyway)

So to answer your question, "why cut-outs?" For me, it's a way to learn more about bees as well as save a few colonies that would likely get poisoned, if me (or someone like me) is not available. However, a cut-out is not always the best option and sometimes not even a option at all. Many times a trap-out is best and even though it takes longer, it is less invasive and many times less expensive.

I've only done about a half a dozen trap-outs so far, but they have all been successful - THANKS to Iddee and his very informative posts and support.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 06:56:14 pm by GDRankin »
Life is but a candle, a dream must give it flame.

* TheBeePlace.com * Honey * Bees * Hives * Supplies * Services *
* Facebook/The Bee Place * Like Us On Facebook

Offline johng

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 04:38:59 pm »
I charge for cutouts too. You are absolutely correct it is so much easier to make splits in stead of doing cut outs. Plus I found cut outs are far from a grantee even if everything goes perfect. I know splits aren't 100% either but, I think they are easier and have higher success rate.   

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 11:56:43 pm »
One must have bees built up to do splits.  I'm planning on a couple more cutouts this Spring to get several hives to work with.  The one I removed in October barely had time to recover.  Also, I'm not willing to spend $$$s on bees, but I can spend time.

My concern about charging is obligation and liability.  After a couple more for friends, I'll either refuse or charge.

Offline JanO

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 05:08:50 pm »
Me and my group must be the odd balls.  We don't charge, we volunteer.  The bees are given a chance to a thrive in a good place, rather then be sprayed  by an over zealous property owner. Besides, it's fun!  We do take donations on occasion and put them to use for equipment to help a beek who needs it, but they aren't solicited. 

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 06:28:39 pm »
I haven't charged yet, but I've been doing it for friends so far.  I may be dead wrong, but it seems the real and/or perceived liability increases if you charge for it.  I have them sign a waiver anyway.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 12:27:08 am »
I do charge to cover expenses. Around 4-800 covers costs and time. Here we can't do repair work after unless we are licensed contractors. Part of deal with exterminators and licensing board. Not to incroch on their business .

John

Just have them sign a waiver and explain  the complete removal process.

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 12:55:48 pm »
I charge a lot.

Don

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 08:38:37 pm »

the folks sho do cut outs are typically NEW beekeepers that want free bees, and the other group is usually those who charge because they found out how much free bees cost!

Just the gas to drive 30 miles round trip to do a cut out cant be ignored.
   The last one I did, the bees were entering at the roof line, where two different angles met. The owner did not want the roof compromised, so I went inside through the walls. The hive, from top to bottom was over 11 feet long between two studs. It was about 100 degrees, the walls were plaster and lath..  from the upstairs to the downstairs on the opposite side in a stairwell. It took over six hours to do with two of us working.
   If you wish to do those jobs for free, let me know, I can have the folks call you. I'd be quite happy to turn them over!
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 06:41:06 pm »
Those who do a few cut outs here or there may not charge but those who do quite a bit of them will tell you they charge.

The easiest way to attain more bees is catching swarms, bait hives & splitting the colonies you already have.

Getting colonies out of wall voids, eaves, between floors, etc... That's the hard way to get bees! 😄

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 12:32:10 pm »
JP, the YouTube link doesn't seem to be working today (here and another thread you tried it).
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 01:28:35 pm »
JP,
I also could not view this video and every other video that you have posted, at least the ones you have posted the least few days.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin