Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Small Hive Beetle Grease  (Read 21394 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Small Hive Beetle Grease
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2018, 10:52:09 pm »
Beeman,
I am not seeing any SHBs in my hives. What is strange is that I only treated the hives that I saw beetles in, 4 hives, and now I am not seeing any.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2018, 03:20:52 am »
Hi Guys
Well it is now 19 days since I applied the "grease" to the hives. I used the hive tool and applied the "grease" at the end of the frames at the back of the hives and in the gaps between the frame rests as advised.
The results are in:
3 5 frame nucs had between 10 and 20 SHB on the outer frames only.
2 double 10 frame hives had approx 15 SHB once again in the top super and on the outer frames only.
1 double 10 frame had approx 70 to 80 SHB again on the outer frames. I pulled the frames and killed about 40 with hive tool.
1 double 10 frame had not one SHB! This was by far the strongest hive.
The hive with the 80 odd was not weak but it was not as strong as the other.

Honestly I am disappointed with results as the population apart from the one with 80 odd is about the same as it was before applying the "grease". The one with 80 odd was a bit of a shock.
I thought I would try again and have reapplied it and will check in 2 weeks and see what transpires.
I live in hope.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 07:12:42 am »
Bambo,
Sorry to hear it is not working for you. Thanks for the feed back.
Did you apply it to the top of the brood frames or was it on the honey super frames?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2018, 07:26:44 am »
Top of the brood.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2018, 07:43:28 am »
That is where they said to place it.
Wondering what is different.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2018, 07:53:07 am »
Well the 2 weeks is up and I had another look today to see how it was all going.
Kinda mixed results.
The population was much the same as the last inspection apart from the hive that had 80 odd SHB, today was probably down to about 15 or so. The hive with none now has a couple of SHB.

Once again they were only on the outer frames, probably chased there by the bees. The ones that went down onto the lids away from the sunlight during the inspection were being aggressively chased by the bees so I would think that they are keeping them away from the centre of the brood and honey stores in the hive proper.

I will look at other methods now other than the grease as I feel that this doesn't work, at least not in my location...or maybe it does and I would have a huge problem if I wasn't using it.

No damage to comb or slime outs yet but I don't want it to get to that stage.
Cheers

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2019, 11:00:23 am »
Well the 2 weeks is up and I had another look today to see how it was all going.
Kinda mixed results.
The population was much the same as the last inspection apart from the hive that had 80 odd SHB, today was probably down to about 15 or so. The hive with none now has a couple of SHB.

Once again they were only on the outer frames, probably chased there by the bees. The ones that went down onto the lids away from the sunlight during the inspection were being aggressively chased by the bees so I would think that they are keeping them away from the centre of the brood and honey stores in the hive proper.

I will look at other methods now other than the grease as I feel that this doesn't work, at least not in my location...or maybe it does and I would have a huge problem if I wasn't using it.

Cheers

Thanks Bamboo, Did you come
Up with something else that seems to give you good results with these Small Hive Beetles?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2019, 03:15:32 pm »
I just found SHB in my hive 3 days ago. I worry about the essential oil in my new long langstroth where everything is in one box. I also worry about introducing boric acid in CD traps. That leaves me with beetle blaster traps. I have thought about cutting a hole the size of a jelly jar lid in the bottom of the hive with hardware cloth over it, and a jar with oil in it screwed underneath, for the bees to herd the beetles into. Of course, that will be difficult with an unhappy colony inside. As a newbee, I know all this theoretical, head knowledge, but I have no experience. I am not sure what to do.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2019, 03:38:31 pm »
I just found SHB in my hive 3 days ago. I worry about the essential oil in my new long langstroth where everything is in one box. I also worry about introducing boric acid in CD traps. That leaves me with beetle blaster traps. I have thought about cutting a hole the size of a jelly jar lid in the bottom of the hive with hardware cloth over it, and a jar with oil in it screwed underneath, for the bees to herd the beetles into. Of course, that will be difficult with an unhappy colony inside. As a newbee, I know all this theoretical, head knowledge, but I have no experience. I am not sure what to do.

Joe May did just what you described but later told me he had gotten away from it. Check out his video, read the comments, if there is a question that you have and did not find the answer in the comments, ask. He is always Obliging at answering questions, a real nice fella and a knowledgeable  beekeeper.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2019, 08:51:14 pm »
... I have thought about cutting a hole the size of a jelly jar lid in the bottom of the hive with hardware cloth over it, and a jar with oil in it screwed underneath, for the bees to herd the beetles into. ....

Sorry about the troubles your having Bobll - but that actually sounds like a great idea ... I might have to try it
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline leww37334

• New Bee
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2019, 08:09:38 pm »
I assume this could be placed inside a cd style trap also so it wouldn't contaminate the hive

Offline leww37334

• New Bee
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2019, 08:41:38 pm »
Kinda mixed results.

Cheers
  I assume you did use wintergreen essential oil?

Offline JurassicApiary

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2020, 12:42:09 am »
Reading through the forum and ran across this thread.  Thought I'd revive it and ask if this worked for anyone long term.  Are any of you still using this that tried it when it was originally posted in 2018?  How about those of you who jumped in later in 2019?  I'm curious what the outcome has been and if this is worth trying.  Thanks.