Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Winter Solstice and The Sweet Smell of Nectar  (Read 3240 times)

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee
Winter Solstice and The Sweet Smell of Nectar
« on: June 21, 2018, 04:10:26 am »
Well today is the Winter solstice....deepest darkest winter. Did a walk by of the hives not an opening inspection just a visual check to see how things are. A veritable "hive" of activity going on with lots of nectar being gathered, I could smell it before I could even see the hives.

Love this beekeeping in the sub tropics. On our way to summer now. Nights a bit chilly but 20's during the day.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
Re: Winter Solstice and The Sweet Smell of Nectar
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 09:15:22 am »
It is hard to get my head around collecting honey in winter.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 09:43:38 am »
Around here we depend on it for the start of our build up. Maple starts around the winter solstice. About a week to two weeks after the solstice I start seeing eggs/larvae on the exposed sides of the frames in the observation hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Dave P

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 06:28:28 pm »
plenty of pollen and a nice smell of honey in Deception Bay

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 11:47:19 am »
Your 'deepest darkest winter' is like a pleasant autumn or spring day in my latitude!
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 06:52:29 pm »
Your 'deepest darkest winter' is like a pleasant autumn or spring day in my latitude!

Yes it certainly is. Had the pleasure many years ago to come out of the convention centre in Salt Lake City after attending a semi private show by "Chicago" and it was snowing. Was a big thrill as we don't get snow in our part of the woods and the next morning there was about 6" of snow everywhere. A novelty for us, we were like kids having snow fights etc lots of fun.
Really liked Utah, nice part of town you live in.
Cheers
Mark

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 07:04:41 pm »
Well today is the Winter solstice....deepest darkest winter. Did a walk by of the hives not an opening inspection just a visual check to see how things are. A veritable "hive" of activity going on with lots of nectar being gathered, I could smell it before I could even see the hives.

Love this beekeeping in the sub tropics. On our way to summer now. Nights a bit chilly but 20's during the day.
Some good days around the solstice to then have a front move in
bringing that cruddy morbid overcast cppler days with fairy pee rain.
Chess weather... for Man and Bees :-)))

Mangos are budding up, avacados are in full bloom.. so all we need
is some sunshine!!

Bill

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 10:29:56 am »

Yes it certainly is. Had the pleasure many years ago to come out of the convention centre in Salt Lake City after attending a semi private show by "Chicago" and it was snowing. Was a big thrill as we don't get snow in our part of the woods and the next morning there was about 6" of snow everywhere. A novelty for us, we were like kids having snow fights etc lots of fun.
Really liked Utah, nice part of town you live in.
Cheers
Mark
Glad you enjoyed us.  If you ever make it back, look me up and I'll give you the locals' favorites.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.