Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
FARMING & COUNTRY LIFE / Re: Not all pollen is the same
« Last post by BeeMaster2 on Today at 09:55:19 pm »
Years ago during my navy years I was at the navy courthouse for jury duty. I spotted an old shipmate sitting outside of an office. I called his name and he was very slow to respond and his speech was real slow like he was severely drugged up. I asked him if he went to the gulf war. He said yeah. They gave him a bunch of vaccines all at once. They messed up a lot of our military doing that.
A few minutes later his wife came out from a lawyer?s  office and said common John and took him by the arm and led him out.
Jim Altmiller
I had the pleasure of meeting Paul Kelly from the University of Guelph this spring, great guy and beekeeper!  He manages all his colonies in a single deep.  Personally, Ive overwintered in all kinds of configurations.  It all depends on how you want to manage your bees.  The older I get the more attractive single deeps and nucs get.  All my entrances are wide open like in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_oYsyB1PvM

One thing I forgot to mention.  Notice in the video Paul cuts all the landing boards off his hives.  It's easier to stack and store equipment and a landing board is unnecessary.

« Last post by animal on Today at 07:05:38 pm »
Ben Framed
"This is where our friend the honeybee comes to the rescue! And why many Medical Allergist recommend pollen related hay fever suffers to ingest local honey and honey bee pollen"

Is there enough science behind this statement?

I have heard it said many times but is there solid proof?
Hey max ... maybe? It sounds like a home remedy version of immunotherapy to me. Some home remedies actually work.
It's hard to find any studies on non-drug treatments in general though ... no money in it for big pharma.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/seasonal-allergies/could-allergy-drops-be-the-key-to-allergy-relief#:~:text=Allergy%20immunotherapy%20is%20an%20allergy,produces%20an%20abnormal%20immune%20response).
« Last post by Terri Yaki on Today at 06:55:30 pm »
Terry
" Other than that, no vaxes for me, tetanus shot only. I tell the doc that I used to eat my boogers when I was four years old so I'm good to go."
I guess you have not been in the military?
When i was called up we where blessed with every shot possible - no choice :smile:
Nope, I missed out but I heard all about it from other guys. Yep, shots for things that they had no idea what they were for. I heard two different schools of though on later vaxes...1) I've had enough shots for my lifetime, I'm not getting any more and 2) With all the shots I had already, what's one or two more?
« Last post by max2 on Today at 06:50:18 pm »
I have an allergy to hard work. Don?t know when I got it but it looks like I have it for life.  I?m afraid there?s no cure for it either. I?m thinking that I will just have to live with it. :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
Pollen?
Fishing?
« Last post by max2 on Today at 06:48:59 pm »
Ben Framed
"This is where our friend the honeybee comes to the rescue! And why many Medical Allergist recommend pollen related hay fever suffers to ingest local honey and honey bee pollen"

Is there enough science behind this statement?

I have heard it said many times but is there solid proof?
« Last post by Lesgold on Today at 06:48:43 pm »
I have an allergy to hard work. Don?t know when I got it but it looks like I have it for life.  I?m afraid there?s no cure for it either. I?m thinking that I will just have to live with it. :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:
« Last post by max2 on Today at 06:45:29 pm »
Terry
" Other than that, no vaxes for me, tetanus shot only. I tell the doc that I used to eat my boogers when I was four years old so I'm good to go."
I guess you have not been in the military?
When i was called up we where blessed with every shot possible - no choice :smile:
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Re: A General Hive Question
« Last post by Lesgold on Today at 06:39:56 pm »
Hi Terri,

As others have said, the brood nest can get quite large in some colonies but it will vary from hive to hive. I generally don?t run queen excluders so at times, some of my hives turn into monsters. It makes checking of brood a slow and painful exercise. With varroa now an issue in Australia, I will have to change this method. From next season I will run single deep brood boxes with a queen excluder in order to control the mite. It will help to keep treatment costs down and also give me better control of frames in relation to chemical buildup and residue. The size of a hive is also determined by the local environment. If good supplies of pollen and nectar are coming in, the hive will grow. Reagan?s comment about the summer solstice is a good, general guide to follow in relation to hive growth. In most years, this is the case but if good supplies are coming in, the colony will maintain higher numbers of bees until food starts to diminish. I can have big, strong hives throughout winter if there is a honey flow on. A lot depends on your local climatic conditions and the approach can vary according to this. After a few seasons, you will adjust, modify and improve your techniques to suit your area and give the bees the best chance of survival. Contacting local beekeepers in your area would be a good starting point.
Terri, Devan Rawn has a good video explaining how and why he winters single deeps. He is in Canada. A real nice fellow who is always willing to help
Phillip

https://youtu.be/YjyNcyVvbEI?si=2mhX7N7pLUFk6uiO
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10