Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beehives in a shed?  (Read 18792 times)

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Re: Beehives in a shed?
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2015, 09:25:00 am »
Congratulations.  Looks good to go. 
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2015, 10:46:17 pm »
I am impressed. That is a LONG tube for them to travel through..  I didnt expect it to be that far.. interested in how that works out in the long term!
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2015, 01:59:06 am »
I am impressed. That is a LONG tube for them to travel through..  I didnt expect it to be that far.. interested in how that works out in the long term!

Yeah - time will tell I guess. On the brighter side, the chances of robbing are possibly somewhat reduced.

I had a few issues with them not walking up the pipe initially:

It was too slippery, so I had to run a rope down inside from the top (don't laugh) - fixed by spraying blackboard paint in there; once they'd got the idea of it, no real problems except that:

Initially I had too may bends in there, with the pipe going parallel with the floor, to a 90 degree bend, then up the wall vertically, then a 45 degree to run it under the roof, then a 90 degree to go through the roof, then the 45 degree "periscope.

They all piled up at the first corner - mayhem and a lot of dead bees in the crush - suspect they overheated.

I finally got it to work properly by shortening the pipe to a single vertical section, with a single 90 degree bend close to the entrance, keeping the pipe a straight as possible and removing the "periscope head" so they could see the light - with that and the rope in place, they figured it out immediately and there were bees flying out inside 30 seconds.

After a couple of days, I replaced the periscope head but they continued to fly in and out as before. A few days after that, I removed the rope.

They seem to accept the pipe as part of the hive, if I look for a few minutes, I'll usually see an undertaker dragging a corpse up and there's a pile of dead uns on the roof under the pipe, until it next rains.

Apart from that, the biggest problem is that I initially set up 2 hives by splitting off from our other hives "up the bush" and requeened them. Hive #1 released and accepted their queen, no dramas; hive #2 however killed their new queen, after initially failing to release her - later I found that they'd produced their own queen cell already. This queen hatched and was mated and laying ok, but after a month, went MIA, so they made yet another one by which time there were no drones around and she didn't mate, no new brood happening, so I killed her and united hive #2 with hive #1 for the winter. My own  fault - I left it too late in the year to start but can't help myself, I've always been impatient to try new ideas.

Weird thing was that hive #1 was always up and out and about pretty well as soon as light and warm enough, but hive #2 (the one with queen problems) was much later at getting up in the morning than #1.

Plan B is to keep this as a single hive for next year and pick up a swarm next Spring (Oct-Dec) to go in hive #2.

I'm pretty happy with the location though - compared with my bushland hives, these guys are laying in much more pollen and have also in 3 or 4 deep frames of honey along with 3 or 4 frames from the sugar I fed them.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 02:09:53 am by Richard M »

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 07:49:55 am »
Wow. That sure is something. Nice out-of-the-box thinking!
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2015, 10:13:51 am »
I could do something like that in my basement only I would just need to get up above the foundation and out the wall. That would keep them out of the cold in the winter and away from the bears... The problem I would have carrying them up the stairs and outside during hive management. But I do like the approach.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2015, 01:16:11 pm »
Nice job. Seem to be working pretty well. I like how you worked out getting the bees to find their way out.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2015, 01:00:02 am »
I could do something like that in my basement only I would just need to get up above the foundation and out the wall. That would keep them out of the cold in the winter and away from the bears... The problem I would have carrying them up the stairs and outside during hive management. But I do like the approach.

If you have a ground-level window in your basement, you wouldn't need to take them out, simply open the window and any bees that fly will just go straight to the light and into the open air and either bugger off for foraging or head back into the pipe entrance again and simply fly around the circuit until you put it all back together again.

I don't bother wheeling them outside now, I just leave a roller door open whilst I have the hives open and or a while after I've closed up the hive and generally the shed is cleared of bees within about 5 minutes or so.

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
Re: Beehives in a shed? - Lessons learned and modifications made.
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2015, 02:50:02 am »
Well a winter, spring and early summer later, I found a few teething problems but I've managed to address them without too much difficulty AND make it into a simpler set up too.

I found problems in practice were:

Bees not realising it had warmed up and outside until late in the day (because inside the garage takes longer to warm up), so they often weren't flying until much later in the day than other bees in the area. Also they were heading out too late in the day when it had cooled off, which had implications for them dying in the pipe (see below).

Dead bees building up at the bottom of the pipe, blocking the entrance, also seemed to have a bigger field bee death rate - couple of hundred a day even in winter. I think they were getting cold in there late in the day, sluggish and dying in here without making it back into the hive, especially as the entrance became progressively blocked.

On busy days, the 50mm/2" pipe was getting congested with bees entering/leaving.

Solutions

Get some through-ventilation happening - after reading Mr Bush's http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopentrance.htm I realised that an airflow up through the hive from outside would give the bees a better indication of external air temperature; a pipe straight out of the hive with no bends would also be easier to negotiate and not at risk of being blocked by dead bees.

So, I changed out the 50mm/2" for 90mm/3.5" stormwater pipe, also matt-painted internally and fitted this directly to the lid (which I made out of a piece of board), using a 90mm gutter pop screwed over an entrance hole offset in the corner. The corner offset is to avoid water dripping into the brood nest if there's rainwater ingress or condensation and to reduce updrafts directly through the brood nest.

Also 90mm pvc S/W and fittings are far cheaper than the 50mm/2" DWV I originally used..

The gutter pop screws are raised on washers to enable the insertion of a strip of acrylic to restrict or close off the entrance.

A short length of pipe is then fixed to the gutter pop. I screw rather than glue everything so that it's easily disassembled or modified.

The main pipe length (about 7'/2.1m) goes through the roof, sealed by a dektite gasket and secured by inserting through a 90mm joining sleeve, fixed to a cross member using a 90mm pipe bracket.

The pipe can then be raised/lowered in the sleeve to line up with the height of the short pipe from the lid; the two are then secured/joined using another 90mm joining sleeve, with a screw in the lower fixed pipe to stop it sliding right down.

I also fitted a 300mm/12" high timber framed fly-wire screen into the bottom of the roller door - just had to cut in new slots in the channel for the locking sliders.

This allows air at ambient temperature in from outside and through the slatted base to provide the bees with an indication of external temperature.

Adding or removing supers in then simply a matter of removing the lid, changing over the box and then sliding the long pipe up or down through the roof opening to accomodate the change in hive height before refitting the pipe to the lid.

The change in entrance height up on the roof puzzles the bees for a short time but they soon figure it out after 10 mins or so.

I've cut some small windows into the pipe and covered with clear pvc, which I roughed up with glasspaper to give the girls some grip. I've also included a sliding cover (made from a sheet of embossed black plastic), which I normally use to keep the viewing windows closed as I find that they tend to head for the light when climbing up and leaving this illuminated attracts them to the lit part of the pipe, causing congestion.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it; there have been no adverse interactions with neighbours or family - yes I've been stung twice, the second time with a nasty outcome but I put that down both times to using a shredder/mulcher close to their flightpath - it only happened twice, two or three weeks apart - I definitely think the vibration from it riles them up - so not the bees fault nor is it an issue with the setup I've got; the only time I've been stung was using this mulcher - my wife who practically lives in the garden week evenings and weekends hasn't had any problems at all, nor have any of the neighbours.

As previously discussed, because any field bees that fly out of the opened hive immediately head for the light (via the open door), I have a much quieter hive to deal with when working on it - I've had no instances of aggression whatsoever, because I'm really only dealing with hive bees and maybe a few guards.

Unfortunately, whilst I'd hoped to get a swarm soon or do a split to fill the second hive, my recent anaphylaxis incident means I've got to move them off site and be completely hands off but I'm hoping this will only be for a 6 months or so, until I can get desensitised, so my aim is to get cracking on it, bigger and better, with a second hive next Spring.

My homesite has definitely been an advantage over our bushland apiary as there's something consistently in flower pretty well every day in 10 out of 12 months, whereas our bushland site is basically all feast or famine - probably the latter for 8/12 months. Here on the edge of suburbia/bush, I've got the benefits of both worlds.

My neighbours are unexpectedly happy too as having my hives close by has given them record bean, pea, tomato, orchard and soft fruit crops and Mrs M has more and bigger raspberries this year than she thought possible..

One last benefit - no condensation problems under the lid.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 03:56:09 am by Richard M »

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2015, 12:29:29 pm »
Richard,
One thing that I did to the entrance to my observation hive was in the one inch tube I added a ladder made out of #8 wire cloth. It is 1/2" by the length of the tube. It makes it much easier for the bees to get in and out. They spend a lot less time walking throught the tube and it allows them to carry things out.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2015, 07:34:35 am »
Richard,
One thing that I did to the entrance to my observation hive was in the one inch tube I added a ladder made out of #8 wire cloth. It is 1/2" by the length of the tube. It makes it much easier for the bees to get in and out. They spend a lot less time walking throught the tube and it allows them to carry things out.
Jim

That's not a bad idea; I've noticed on a cold night after a warm day with lots of nectar/honey being dewatered, they can get a lot of condensation in the pipe which makes it quite slippery until it dries out - a 1' wide length of fly-screen wire might be the G.O.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2015, 12:09:14 pm »
That will probably work real well. Try to attach it stretched tight to one side of the pipe, otherwise it can tend to block sections that the bees have to work their way around.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2015, 09:49:26 pm »
That will probably work real well. Try to attach it stretched tight to one side of the pipe, otherwise it can tend to block sections that the bees have to work their way around.
Jim

And I've got heaps of the stuff too - I do like freeby solutions.

anything