BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > TOP BAR HIVES - WARRE HIVES - LONG HIVES

Well, it's done. New Topbar hives

(1/3) > >>

TALittle:
I have a ranch way out off the beaten path. (12 acres in the middle of 5000 acres of woods) I built two top bar hives from scrap lumber and last weekend placed them on the property. Total cost of the hives was $11 each.

I put the backer boards at the calculated location to provide 35l of internal space. Rubbed the chamfer molding on the top bars with bees wax, then put 8 or so drops of lemon grass oil on a cotton ball inside a ziplock bag with about 1" open and tossed it in the back of the hive.

Hives are facing south-south-east, so now it is just a waiting game. Hoping a swarm will move in.

Rurification:
Looks great!   Good luck!

tycrnp:
Considering doing this myself.  Did you have success?

BeeMaster2:
TA,
Seal up those baggies. With 8 drops and being open, they may move in and move back out. It is like you having to put up with your mother in law who uses a whole bottle of perfume every day. If you seal them, they will last longer. You will find that in about a week they are dry even though they are sealed. It seeps out slowly.
Jim

TALittle:

--- Quote from: tycrnp on May 01, 2017, 01:23:09 am ---Considering doing this myself.  Did you have success?

--- End quote ---

No, I did not have any luck with them yet.

--- Quote from: sawdstmakr on May 01, 2017, 12:57:21 pm ---TA,
Seal up those baggies. With 8 drops and being open, they may move in and move back out. It is like you having to put up with your mother in law who uses a whole bottle of perfume every day. If you seal them, they will last longer. You will find that in about a week they are dry even though they are sealed. It seeps out slowly.
Jim

--- End quote ---

I found out later that 8 drops was a bit much. This year im trying with a couple of drops on the wood and a finger smear near the entrance and maybe a couple of drops on a cotton round in a ziplock bag

I've also built two more topbar hives and 4 swarm boxes to hang in the trees around the property. Hoping more locations and options will give me a little better chance of getting a swarm.

I also got a new 4x4 truck so I can get in and out no matter what the weather is. It just means that Ill be able to get out there with a little more regularity. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version