Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lid failure  (Read 1047 times)

Offline animal

• Queen Bee
Lid failure
« on: March 27, 2024, 08:40:08 am »
In a previous post, I described an experiment with a telescoping lid using an acrylic rubber coating designed for resurfacing EPDM and other roofing materials. Basically, it is like an extremely thick gloss paint (each coat roughly equal to 20? coats or so).
It failed.

The flat lid was constructed of a piece of plywood with 3/4 inch thick (standard 1x thickness) banding to make it "telescoping" and a few coats were applied, leaving a dried thickness of 1/16" or greater. 
After exposure to weather for several months, fine cracks in the rubber are apparent, running with the wood grain; allowing water to leach through and grow mold on the interior surface. ... a lot of water ... after the last rain, when I stood the lid up, there was enough water clinging to the inside of the plywood to run off and dribble to the ground.   
It's obvious that any hope of getting the stuff to work properly as a roof sealer would require a decoupling membrane of some type or using something other than plywood for the substrate.
(or ... dang it, this isn't an easy solution to this problem ... and yeah, I'm trying to force the pun even though the coating is more of a suspension rather than a solution, but maybe that adds another layer to the pun? ... sorry, I'm easily distracted sometimes).

I'll probably try again after I decide on a cheap material for a membrane, but for now the original vinyl coated aluminum (coil stock)clad plywood cover is back in place, and the bees are doing great.

Just exposing my failure so that others won't try this particular "easy way out"

Edit to add : Sorry if this is in the wrong category. I was torn between the experimentation section versus here as a warning to not do it. I think the original post is buried in another thread somewhere rather than one specifically on the lid.

2nd edit: I mistakenly called it latex at first. It is actually an "elastomeric siliconized acrylic". APOC 243 (white). It does work very well on EPDM, btw. ... IF you pressure wash away the oxidation layer on the roofing. It's not good enough for it to just be clean.   
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 01:12:08 pm by animal »
Avatar pic by my oldest daughter (ink and watercolor)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Lid failure
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 10:43:23 pm »
I simply use Advan Tech flooring for my lids cut to fit, and lay them on flat...

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2024, 09:57:46 pm »
 :shocked: but ... but  ... there's no overkill ... that's too simple !  :wink: :cheesy:

To be honest, I've never considered putting OSB in the weather on a wall, much less  a horizontal surface... I'm assuming you mean the 4'x8' subfloor panels, and I realize they use additional sealers in that brand. Actually, I've never bought the stuff... using 3/4 plywood most of the time. I've only used OSB a handful of times and that was when cost was the number 1 concern. ... and ... I can get regular t&g OSB subfloor for over 20 bucks a sheet cheaper.

Are you painting it ?
How long does it last before it starts shedding wafers?

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2024, 10:26:06 pm »
Check this out. Especially the 50 second vid which I posted with it some time ago. I love this stuff, tops, bottoms, and the 3/4 strips which the bottom box rest on.

https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=52581.msg471107#msg471107
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline animal

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2024, 11:11:33 pm »
It's a cute video, but what got my attention was that your post was over 5 years ago and you're still happy with it.

So .. you only paint/seal the edges and the hives you made back then are still good ? no swelling ? That's really surprising.

I've got a trailer that's almost gotten to the point of needing a new bed ... I just might try a torture test of the stuff for the heck of it. :cool:

(..this from someone that HATES particle and wafer products )

Thanks

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2024, 11:59:57 pm »
(..this from someone that HATES particle and wafer products )

Same here normally. This stuff is a bit different in production. I watched a video some time ago explaining and showing how it?s made.

I have had GREAT luck using in beekeeping as top and bottom boards.

After cutting to fit, I first use Tite Bond III on the edges and then paint the tops. I no longer paint the underside of the top. No need. . .

I have a complete test piece, 4X8 foot sheet, that is totally unpainted. It has been laying out for at least 5 years. It?s laying on a slab of concrete in the direct weather. I have found it will slightly curve after a while, I simple flip it over and it flattens back in a while. So I don?t know how it will work out as a trailer bed. If I tried it I would be sure and paint both sides.  Remember this test sheet is a complete sheet.