Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Been hot in the bee yard  (Read 960 times)

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
Been hot in the bee yard
« on: August 23, 2019, 05:05:14 pm »
Haven't posted in a while, lots of irons in the this year. Had to cut back on checking my hives during the last month due to the heat. Boy triple digit weather really slows me down, all I've done is check the trays and peek inside the tops. Got a chance to do a complete inspection and the hives are doing well. Had to move a nuc tower over into a deep which brings my little yard up to five hives. That's about as big as I want to go as a hobbyist.  Still need to pull some honey to make room for the Brazilian Pepper flow which is right around the corner.
   Found this year that it's easier to make queens than buying them and having them not being accepted. Lost all my store bought queens within a month of being introduced but was able to have the nucs make their own. Beside that it been pretty quite with a lot of rain. Hope everybody has had a good year so far.  Think this nuc tower got a little crowded, ended up moving it into a double deep.                                   

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Re: Been hot in the bee yard
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 05:21:55 pm »
Beeboy, you have your hives close to an agricultural field of Brazilian Peppers? I am curious. does the honey have any hint of heat, or pepper flavor?

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 05:34:11 pm »
Wow, that's some Beard in Beeboy! Very cool.  :grin:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 05:45:55 pm »
Bobll, The Brazilian Pepper is an invasive bush that is taking over. It grows to a height of about 20 feet and produces a heavy flow come mid September. It's not hot but does have a spicy bite to it that some people like. It tends to have a high moisture content in it so it doesn't get sold much commercially.
    I read somewhere that the ripe seeds can be dried and ground like black pepper corns. Haven't tried dried Brazilian Pepper corns yet but the honey does make a decent mead. ;)

Offline Anonimo22

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 11:42:59 pm »
Its really amazing how many nector producing plants out there to research! It seems that just when I think I've heard about them, there's always something new to discover.

Thanks for putting up this info & re: the Brazilian pepper plants.

I don't enjoy your triple digit weather though...