Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ants nesting in a frame  (Read 1281 times)

Offline rgennaro

• House Bee
Ants nesting in a frame
« on: August 20, 2019, 03:16:12 pm »
I have been noticing ants going into my main hive for the last month or so. I thought the bees would take care of them but they are still there so today I tried to pay attention to where they are actually going and I noticed that they seem to have built a nest in one of the wooden frames. It?s an old frame that came with my original nuc and they are going inside a crack at the very end of the frame near where the bee spacers are. I stuck the tip of my hive tool in there and cracked it a bit open and indeed a whole lot of ants came out and the bees got quite upset.

What to do? This is a center frame on my top box. It has lots of brood in it so I would prefer not to remove it. Any suggestions? Sealing the hole and cracks with wax? Glue?

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
Re: Ants nesting in a frame
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 07:45:48 pm »
Just seal the hole and the ants wont be able to come in or out of the nest.
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline rgennaro

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 09:46:29 pm »
Seal it with? Wax?

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 09:48:55 pm »
Seal it with? Wax?

Thats an option. Just something that won't hurt the bees
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline rgennaro

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 09:51:28 pm »
I?ll try that. I also read in an answer to a previous  post of mine that gorilla glue is not toxic to the bees either.

I also need to brush hog around the hive stand.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 10:00:53 pm »
The bees may have jailed the ants there, and that's why they got fussy.  You let 'em out.

Gorilla glue expands, a lot.  It may interfere with your frames inside, or push the crack wider.  It's hard to cut when dry.

Titebond however is non toxic.  It does not expand.  I'd use the nozzle to get some back as far as you can.  It's a tad runny, but excellent contact, you may need 2 applications.   Then from the outside, you could use warmed beeswax, propolis if you have enough, or a water based wood putty to fill the rest.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 10:59:20 pm »
You can use duct tape.
I have read that there is a beneficial relationship between ants and honeybees.  It's been awhile since I have read it, L. Miller bees in Washington State perhaps.
When I see ants outside my hives I don't worry about them.  I don't recall seeing them inside the actual hive, inner cover maybe.
When I first started beekeeping I used cinnamon powder to keep them away.  Now, I don't bother. 

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 11:32:55 pm »
The bees may have jailed the ants there, and that's why they got fussy.  You let 'em out.

Gorilla glue expands, a lot.  It may interfere with your frames inside, or push the crack wider.  It's hard to cut when dry.

Titebond however is non toxic.  It does not expand.  I'd use the nozzle to get some back as far as you can.  It's a tad runny, but excellent contact, you may need 2 applications.   Then from the outside, you could use warmed beeswax, propolis if you have enough, or a water based wood putty to fill the rest.

I like Titebond also.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything