Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Need An Inexpensive vaporizer?  (Read 4639 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Need An Inexpensive vaporizer?
« on: August 19, 2019, 03:44:35 pm »
Do it yourself,
Need a inexpensive vaporizer? Do it yourself.
https://youtu.be/oxJqzRT1Gdk
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Need An Inexpensive vaporizer?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 05:03:59 pm »
Keep in mind, per a study at the University of Florida, it takes 4 grams of oxalic acid to treat a deep or larger hive.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 06:07:49 pm »
Jim, can we have a link to that study?
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 06:14:25 pm »
90.00 divided by your number of hives, divided again by the number of treatments. Includes the acid.  No hassle or parts buying. What do you consider cheap.

https://beezneedz.com/product/oxalic-acid-vaporizer/
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 08:19:26 pm »
90.00 divided by your number of hives, divided again by the number of treatments. Includes the acid.  No hassle or parts buying. What do you consider cheap.

https://beezneedz.com/product/oxalic-acid-vaporizer/

15 dollars is what the fellow called the parts total. But, if a person does not want to fool with the hassle of gathering and putting the parts together this would not be the way to go. Also this thing is suppose to recycle quickly saving time applying oxalic, similar to the pro-vaporizer, this could certainly be another option?   I am not pushing the idea but for a person, on-a limited budget, which may not want to or be finically able to pay $499.00 for the pro vaporizer this may be another option.  I thought it was very interesting so I posted it.
Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 11:05:37 pm »
Iddee,
We had a speaker who did the study give a talk at one of the clubs. He provided the info. I will see if he published his results.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 12:14:20 am »
Whatsamillimeter?  Just kidding.
I like your can do spirit. 
But seriously, get a better mask.  OA is bad stuff.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 09:51:59 am »
Iddee,
The speakers name is Cameron Jack. I checked the IFAS site. He published 4 articles but this is not one of them. He may have been working on this project with someone else that published it but I have not found it yet.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 10:12:06 am »
Dadant recommends one gram per brood chamber. But I am by no means disputing your information  Jim. I am happy that research is steady progressing and newer and better approaches and findings are being made constantly in our world of bees. I would like to rad these findings also if you can find them. Thanks,
Phillip

https://www.dadant.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/2011/09/Dadant_OxalicAcidVaporizer_QandA.pdf
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 02:59:22 pm by Ben Framed »

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 01:27:55 pm »
Dadant recommends one gram per brood chamber. But I am by any means disputing your information  Jim. I am happy that research is steady progressing and newer and better approaches and findings are being made constantly in our world of bees. I would like to rad these findings also if you can find them. Thanks,
Phillip

https://www.dadant.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/2011/09/Dadant_OxalicAcidVaporizer_QandA.pdf
The study that Cameron Jack was reporting on found that 1 ounce was not effective at all. It wasn?t until they used 4 ounces that it was killing the mites.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 01:31:46 pm »
My provap 110 comes with a measuring spoon than at level measures 2 grams of pure Oxalic acid, which is different from Oxalic acid hydrate.  Jim, I believe the study you refer to was Oxalic acid dihydrate in which case, yes Sir, I would use 4 grams because the hydrated form is approx, half water.   However pure Oxalic acid, I use 2 grams per 2 deep hive.  Equates to 1 gram per deep of pure Oxalic acid.

Amazon mostly sells Oxalic acid dihydrate so note the label carefully.  I see text to use a respirator which is good advice.

Van

« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 01:56:58 pm by van from Arkansas »
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 02:55:47 pm »
Thanks men.
Phillip

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 05:54:10 pm »
Dadant recommends one gram per brood chamber. But I am by any means disputing your information  Jim. I am happy that research is steady progressing and newer and better approaches and findings are being made constantly in our world of bees. I would like to rad these findings also if you can find them. Thanks,
Phillip

The study that Cameron Jack was reporting on found that 1 ounce was not effective at all. It wasn?t until they used 4 ounces that it was killing the mites.
Jim Altmiller

Misprint correction, what I meant I am NOT by any means disputing your information. Sorry Jim.

Perhaps Mr Van is correct and also perhaps there are new findings. I really would like to know . The reason that I am asking, I remember the experiment that Beeboy01 did last year and the trouble he had getting rid of the mites in the one hive. This may be an option on the heavily infested hives? This is very interesting to me Jim and Mr Van. Thank you both again.
Phillip 

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 06:41:18 pm »
If you want knowledge about Oxalic acid and varroa, the article below will enlighten you.

Journal of Apicultural Research:  volume 54, Issue 2, 2015

Towards integrated control of Varroa: 2) comparing application methods and doses of Oxalic acid on the mortality of phoretic Varroa destructor mites and their honey bee hosts.

The above is an 20 plus page research article studying Oxalic acid pertaining to Varroa over an 18 month period.  The single best study I have experienced.  These researchers thought of every conceivable detail, down to figuring out to account for natural honeybee death and building a trap to compensate for natural death so as to account precise results.  Simply stated, THE BEST ARTICLE my eyes have experienced, so detailed, so through.

I am not saying treat your bees, that is your decision.  I am saying here is info if you please.

Cheers
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 06:41:36 pm »
Cameron was referring to the oxalic acid power that comes in a plastic bag or a hard plastic container with a snap on lid.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 07:25:52 pm »
Yes, Jim I understand.  Oxalic acid dihydrate is white powder just like Oxalic acid.  I can?t tell the difference by looking.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2019, 07:38:26 pm »

Pure Oxalic acid, not dehydrate.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2019, 09:02:31 pm »
I bought my Oxalic Acid on line form a company called Florida Laboratories, Inc. It came in a sturdy, reinforced, silver ziplock bag.  The description says Oxalic Acid keep in a cool place. 99.6% Purity. Jim I found a link of a study done by your guys. It is a very, very in-depth article. Very impressive. I tried to copy the link but for some reason I was unsuccessful. I have not found the specific information that we are discussing, but this study covered almost any problem imaginable, from mites to beetles to nosema ETC ! It will take some time and patience on my part to study it all, I will have to do it a few paragraphs at a sitting. I am pleased that you mentioned this study.
Thanks,
Phillip

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2019, 09:12:58 pm »
Mr Van, my oxalic looks like your second picture.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2019, 03:04:50 pm »
I bought my Oxalic Acid on line form a company called Florida Laboratories, Inc. It came in a sturdy, reinforced, silver ziplock bag.  The description says Oxalic Acid keep in a cool place. 99.6% Purity. Jim I found a link of a study done by your guys. It is a very, very in-depth article. Very impressive. I tried to copy the link but for some reason I was unsuccessful. I have not found the specific information that we are discussing, but this study covered almost any problem imaginable, from mites to beetles to nosema ETC ! It will take some time and patience on my part to study it all, I will have to do it a few paragraphs at a sitting. I am pleased that you mentioned this study.
Thanks,
Phillip

Phil, can you post the link, but if your still not able to post, then provide the search criteria so I can google, locate and read the article.  Sounds like a good informative article.
Blessings
Van

anything