Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 5 out of 8  (Read 1049 times)

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
5 out of 8
« on: August 18, 2019, 03:03:29 pm »
Well did 8 Ots splits and got 5 mated queens returned , put in new frame of eggs for 2 of the hives to see if they can make a queen. 1 nuc was complete loss put the comb in the freezer. Will see what?s happens . Great learning experience and brood break for them. Really liking the ots system. Time to get ready for the fall flow, will say tried acorn frames with these and they went right to them and drew them out well.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: 5 out of 8
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 03:50:26 pm »
Medic, again I must show ignorance:;; what does ots stand for, ON THE SPOT is all I know.  Enlighten me.
Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 06:59:37 pm »
Yes  mr van it was On the spot. I have tried Mel?s technique  and was pretty happy. Will get a pic of the patterns next week

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 08:31:11 pm »
Congrats on your splits. I?ve been trying them at one yard lately with little success. I?m thinking it?s the over abundance of dragonflies. Had no trouble there earlier in the year but it?s been tough lately.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 10:30:04 pm »
Our dragon flys have been lower this year, I hope the two that didn?t take will hatch one

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 10:52:59 pm »
Good job JC. I am happy for you Sir.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 03:01:53 am »
 Anything over 60% overall is about average and bee happy with.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 07:51:55 am »
Thanks Phil and honey pump. Made some good advances in the numbers in the yards will see how they do.

anything