Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I got Way-Laid!! Never again without a smoker  (Read 2101 times)

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
I got Way-Laid!! Never again without a smoker
« on: August 18, 2019, 03:40:00 am »
At least 30-40 stings- when I got home from the hospital I was weak and tired but this cutout was down to 2 frames. I opened my aggressive box without smoker- I couldn?t find it - WHAM!! I ran in the house and took 100 mg benedryl. Good thing I?m not allergic.
 So I re suit up but still don?t cover my pant legs - places the boxes back together and got attacked again. Another 30-40.
I cut this out - couldn?t find queen- they swarmed to a tree - I used my shop vac and killed a good many.
 I put a couple frames of brood in there today hoping they?d pick up.
https://youtu.be/1v3PYzl5oCQ
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: I got Way-Laid!! Never again without a smoker
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 07:59:32 am »
Wow that is rough Salty.
Did you get all of those stings from the cutout or from an existing hive in your apiary?
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 09:46:23 am »
Existing that I took the whole super of honey off- maybe they hate me now?!!!
This cutout swarmed up to a tree - I tried my shop vac but killed 5 thousand and took about 500 home- I?ve added 2 frames of brood to 2 frames of active bees- we?ll see
It?s up to me

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 11:39:31 am »
Shop vacs alone hav 2 different problems that kill the bees. 
First the suction is too strong and causes the bees to swell and this causes a lot of damage.
Second the bees are spun around and around inside the vacuum and slammed into the areas where the wheels are attached and other indents.
When I?m done vacuuming up a cutout and have already put the brood together with the vacuumed up bees, I often have to vacuum up bees inside a home and I use the shop vac straight. They never survive.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 02:37:47 am »
I?ll have to design something I?m not giving up. Seems my name is getting around and several people are calling me for removals- I don?t/cannot take them all due to Florida?s 3/6 rule and some people pre poisoning before I get there.
This cutout looked so easy but my health had me resting more than working.
I need 2 more colonies for a full yard
It?s up to me

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 02:55:39 am »
WT?
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 07:56:46 am »
Salty,
Always ask, What did you spray them with? Not did you spray them?
The first question usually gets a true answer. The second one usually gets  Nothing.
If they sprayed them, I usually won?t even drive out to look at it.
If they insist they need a he bees removed, the price goes way.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2019, 09:38:13 am »
I?ll have to design something I?m not giving up. Seems my name is getting around and several people are calling me for removals- I don?t/cannot take them all due to Florida?s 3/6 rule and some people pre poisoning before I get there.
This cutout looked so easy but my health had me resting more than working.
I need 2 more colonies for a full yard

The RoBo Vac seems to be a good bee cab and was designed from what I understand by one of our members here. ROBO. I have a vac similar to a Colorado bee vac. Works great very, Very low kill. Almost unbelievably low when vacuum suction is set up correctly.  I have vacuumed the Queen by accident more than once with no damage. There are other designs, if I did not have the one I have the ROBO would be my second choice.
Phillip
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 10:13:53 am »
Bee Vac...I have a 5-gallon bucket lid with two hose mounts on it. One hose goes to my shop vac, and has a mesh screen under the lid to keep bees from being sucked into the vac. The other hose is what I use to vacuum bees. The bucket lid also has a screen hole with a plastic flap that can be opened or reduced to change the pressure of suction. It's a super-simple build that is really cheap. I also have a couple of bucket lids with the top cut out and screen glued on. I can vacuum a cutout and get the bucket half filled, swap out lids and keep going while giving the bees in the bucket plenty of ventilation. It's not as high-speed as a lot of setups, but it works and it is cheap. I have very little kill with this setup, and have had queens survive when I occasionally vac them up.     

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 01:43:15 pm »
Sounds about right- my other answer was buy new hose and perforate the hose with holes but that?s not controllable- I?ll be doing this soon
It?s up to me

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 03:30:32 pm »
Sounds about right- my other answer was buy new hose and perforate the hose with holes but that?s not controllable- I?ll be doing this soon

Sending a PM
Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 09:50:40 pm »

Sending a PM
Phillip

Phillip - I?ve made notes from video- thanks
It?s up to me

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 02:13:41 am »

Sending a PM
Phillip

Phillip - I?ve made notes from video- thanks

Your welcome my friend. I hope this works out for you. Let me add my difference on the hose.  I use a pool suction hose from Home Depot. I am thinking it was 50?. The diameter is 1 1/2 inch. Fifty feet was a bit long so I cut it into making a 15? and a 35? which gives me an option to choose from depending on demand of the job. Unlike the bought vacs, I custom cut my hose attachment hole in the box which is the size of the pipe on each end of the hose. To use, simply slide the piped end of the hose into the suction box. on the working end I use a shop vac attachment end, which will slide into the cut end, (working end) of the hose taping it in place with duct tape. Works great. When the  job is finished. Staple a pice of window screen over the suction hole. Important reminder: Leave the vac on while doing this , this way the bees will stay inside the box while you are stapling the screen in place. Otherwise bees will flood out.  I?ve never had a problem. Also, when the removal is done, and it happens to be an inside removal, simply suction the window seeking bees up along with any stragglers before stapling the screen and leaving. The customer appreciates NO bees flying about the room and no bees 🐝  are wasted. If I can help you further don?t hesitate to ask.
Phillip
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 02:51:22 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Anonimo22

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 12:03:28 am »
So if you replace the queen will that phase out the aggression and work?

Or do you think they were just riled up by others before you got there and that they might calm down?

Some of the educational videos suggest bees in nature can be more defensive sometimes, because they experience more predator activity.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 05:16:51 am »
My hive is just ferocious and doesn?t help I misplaced my smoker. I?ve heard replacing queen does in fact produce a calmer nest
It?s up to me