Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Where are they getting it from?  (Read 2079 times)

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
Where are they getting it from?
« on: August 16, 2019, 07:07:19 pm »
I'm in georgia....anybody know the source of this bright orange pollen? Tons of it coming in right now. I suspect its golden rod but I really dont know.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Where are they getting it from?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 07:49:46 pm »
Fish, first let me say what a beautiful clear close up photo.  Please discuss the camera, I think you said Samsung in a previous post???  Which one??

Second, I see the same colored vivid orange pollen over here in N. Arkansas, this day.  One flower that is currently prolific and in bloom is Bitterweed.  However I see that same color pollen in Spring when there is no bitterweed.  Vivid orange is a common color for pollen of many species of plants.

The one pollen that makes my favorite light colored honey is a blonde color pollen, which I only see in Spring and early summer.  I have yet to identify the pollen source, maybe white clover.
Cheers
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 08:01:13 pm »
Van it is a Samsung.  It's my cell phone. A samsung galaxy Note 8. It actually takes much better pictures that that. If I allow it to focus properly you can count the hairs on the bees. Lol. This picture was actually a screen shot from a video. Instead of trying to quickly snap a picture of a bee scurrying in loaded with pollen I just stood there and took a 30 second video of the bees coming and going. Then later while in the ac on the couch paused the video and took this screen shot. 
Take a kid fishing !

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 08:06:03 pm »

Same pollen???  This is individual photo, hand held.  I like your idea, Fish, of a screen shot from video.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 08:19:06 pm »

Close up of an empty polished cell.  Learning new phone camera here.
Blessings
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 10:15:04 am by van from Arkansas »

Offline Fishing-Nut

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 08:45:48 pm »
Good clear photos as well van. And yes that looks like the same pollen to me.
Take a kid fishing !

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 02:26:03 am »
It may be dandelion? Its had a comeback here and i haven't seen it since spring. It can't be white clover that is a dark grey pollen.
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline Barhopper

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 10:25:20 pm »
We?re getting sumac that has that color pollen right now.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 10:42:12 pm »
I?m seeing close to the same as well. I checked a bunch of golden rod on me today. Only saw one bee on it. My buckwheat has started to bloom and not a bee on it either. Not sure what they are working then.

Offline saltybluegrass

• House Bee
  • My Bible is living with bee energy one desire
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 11:50:31 pm »
I?ve got marigolds and mandarin merrigolds growing like gang busters
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Then all else falls in line
It?s up to me

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 12:13:55 am »

Blessings

Mr Van, what is the khaki colored stuff in the top center of the picture? Has my Curiosity blooming.   :cheesy:

Phillip
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 09:49:22 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline StraferX

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 09:57:56 am »
I also am getting this bright orange pollen coming in. My bees are working a field of Golden Rod and a tall yellow cone flower like a yellow Echinacea. It is dry as a bone here in southern West Virginia and my bees are drinking hard from my water supplies. I also see the bees working joe pye weed.
As for me and my house, We WILL serve the Lord.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 07:57:15 pm »
Central Georgia is also dry. No pollen either. My bees are coming back empty. I have not see any golden here, and I have been looking.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 09:00:26 pm »

Blessings

Mr Van, what is the khaki colored stuff in the top center of the picture? Has my Curiosity blooming.   :cheesy:

Phillip

Phillip, that is some loose pollen debris on top of the cell.  I deliberately included in the pic to determine resolution; trying out new iPhone camera.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 09:32:20 pm »
Mr. Bobll have you fed your bees subpollen such as offered by the big bee supply companies?  During a dearth my bees adore the stuff.

Van

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 11:00:53 pm »

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2019, 09:24:08 am »
Thanks for posting. I?m going to save that.

Offline Anonimo22

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2019, 10:57:11 pm »
Don't most states have 'pollen readings' or something when they do the weather?

Someone said something about this recently in something I wasn't listening to. They were talking about you could analyze and actually track the pollen counts kept and posted in news or whatever.

Here...

https://www.weatherbug.com/life/pollen/

https://www.pollen.com/

Anyway, my computer is old and doesn't have all the plug-ins, so I can't tell if it tells you what the pollen count breakdown is from or not. But you might be able to use this concept to help identify where and what stuff is coming from per your question.

Also, this would also let you write down a calendar map of your nectar flows by charting the pollen counts weekly, monthly, or even daily if you wanted. (This would help you in tons of ways.)

I really like that you posted a pic, opening poster!