Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pickle buckets for Honey  (Read 3033 times)

Offline paus

• Field Bee
Pickle buckets for Honey
« on: July 14, 2017, 06:28:54 pm »
I was eating a hamburger at a local caf? the waitress asked me if I needed any buckets.  They were from pickle and other foods, so they are food grade, but I wondered if: 1, Can  the pickle odor be removed. 2.  will it flavor honey.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
Re: Pickle buckets for Honey
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 07:01:55 pm »
I heard that the pickle buckets would taint the honey and that time and washing would not correct it.  Since hearing that I am also scared of using soy sause buckets which I have several of.  I have a guy that says he is going to get me some buckets that held fruit.  I did hear that icing buckets would be ok and maby a backery might be a place to look.  I hope there are some responces to your thread and maby those responces will confirm or deny those other buckets like the soy sause or fruit.  I am in the same boat of haveing things for free but not knowing if they can be used.  For this year, I bought a $5 bucket lid from walmart.
I don't have an aswer but would like to know.
Cheers
gww

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 07:57:43 pm »
Don't use the pickle buckets. To find out why, wash one as best that you can, put lid on tight and open it in a couple of days. When you do see what it smells like, pickles.
I use icing buckets from Publix. They work great. I also get ones that had mixed grains in them. Fruit buckets would probably be good.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 08:05:06 pm »
Snowcone and slushee buckets work great.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 09:08:00 pm »
Krispy Creme
John 3:16

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 12:55:40 am »
So do all of these places (Publix, Snow cone, Krispy Kreme) sell these buckets?

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 01:02:19 am »
So do all of these places (Publix, Snow cone, Krispy Kreme) sell these buckets?

Some sell for a buck -- some give them away-- some say they have to throw them away--some give you a blank stare  :shocked:
John 3:16

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 02:56:19 pm »
I have received about 30-3 gallon buckets from publix. Sometimes they say they have to recycle them.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 01:29:20 am »
I got a couple of buckets from Publix today. She was very nice and is going to save them for me!

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 02:55:53 pm »
This has been hashed before.  Here  is info that may be helpful Look on the bottom of the bucket if there are molded numbers from 1-5 the bucket is safe, the lower the better.  I have used pickle buckets after I stored cooking oil for oil pans in DSBB.. After a through washing NO SMELL, I know a bee has a better smeller than I do, but they did not mind feed honey from this bucket.  Also look for a knife and fork, it is OK.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 07:50:57 pm »
This has been hashed before.  Here  is info that may be helpful Look on the bottom of the bucket if there are molded numbers from 1-5 the bucket is safe, the lower the better.  I have used pickle buckets after I stored cooking oil for oil pans in DSBB.. After a through washing NO SMELL, I know a bee has a better smeller than I do, but they did not mind feed honey from this bucket.  Also look for a knife and fork, it is OK.

My local bakery  saves icing buckets for me which would otherwise be discarded. Easy clean and definitely food grade.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 08:38:09 pm »
Molded buckets 1-5, the lower the better???? Paus could you elaborate, or explain.

All I know on plastics is on food grade honey plastic containers is to look for the molded triangle on the bottom.  Means food safe plastic.

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 10:36:21 pm »
We just had a Publix built within driving distance of us. I am totally going to have to try getting buckets from them!  Food grade honey buckets are so expensive.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Beelab

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2019, 12:39:31 am »
I was told to not even consider glass jars that had pickles in them for honey packing.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2019, 07:21:40 am »
Beelab,
It does take a while before the pickle smell goes away. Eventually it does. Try dishwashering them a few times and see if they come clean.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 09:54:56 am »
There are a lot of uses for pickle buckets.  Just don't put honey in them...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin