Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Experience not to be repeated  (Read 2240 times)

Offline 220

• House Bee
Experience not to be repeated
« on: January 23, 2017, 04:10:15 am »
Thought I would try to sweep up the bees that hadn't found their way into the hive from the tree cut out a few days ago.
All was going well until I had a buzzing right beside my ear, before I could get away and remove my suit hood the bee went straight into my ear. Buzzing got louder and louder the deeper it went and quite painful when Im guessing it was against the eardrum. By this stage I was in a bit of a panic, ripped the hood off and asked my mother who had been sitting watching 20m away if she could see it. No such luck it had crawled right in, not knowing what else to do I grabbed a bottle of water and asked her to tip in in my ear. The water immediately dropped the volume considerably, not sure if it was simple because water doesn't conduct sound as well as air or the wet bee wasn't buzzing as intensely.
Didn't drive the bee out so seeing it was only a mile back to the house and 2 miles from there to the local hospital thought it would be the best option. Fired up the old truck and had only backed a few yards when I felt the bee start to back out 10 sec later it had backed out far enough for mum to grab it before it had a chance to change its mind.

Have been over the suit top to bottom and can not find a hole anywhere, zippers were all fully closed. I think the bee must have been in the suit when I put it on. I dumped it in the back of the truck yesterday and did notice a few bees around my gloves before I shook them off and put the suit away. May well have folded the suit up with a bee inside and didn't inspect before putting it on today. Went back and brushed up another pan of bees but decided I had had enough beekeeping for one day. 

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
Re: Experience not to be repeated
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 06:34:00 am »
Now that's a sensation I hope I never experience!

Glad it worked out ok for you.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 09:44:06 am »
Next time when your mother says clean the wax out of your ears you will do it.  LOL  The bee thought she was right at home!
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 10:36:17 am »
Oh my goodness! Glad you were able to get her out.
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 10:55:01 am »
Next time when your mother says clean the wax out of your ears you will do it.  LOL  The bee thought she was right at home!
That is funny
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 12:20:21 pm »
I have tentnitus but that's going a little bit to far to find out what it's like to have ringing inthe ear.

:shocked: :shocked: :tongue:

john

or maybe it thought it was the easer way to get wax?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 01:15:30 pm »
Glad you're OK.
My first year, I had a bee land on my head, crawled down to and into my ear, came out and crawled across my cheek and on my lips, all the while I am expecting to bee stung. I finally gave it a blast of air from my mouth and off it went.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 10:22:00 pm »
How do you guys stay so calm?! I'd have been jumping around like someone with St. Vitus' Dance!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 11:00:09 pm »
You will get used to bees walking on you.  :grin:
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 12:39:08 am »
when you get excited and start jumping, swatting and etc will scare the bee and you get stung.  Just bee came and they may also.  Like Jim said you get used to bees walking on you.  In the summer you can bee out with them and they will land on your arm walk around and get some sweet.  Sometimes there maybe two or three at a time.  Now there are some that just aren't that friendly also.

Glad you are OK   220.

Joe D

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 12:59:11 am »
Don't worry I wasn't exactly calm, calm enough when I first heard it inside the suit as there were plenty of bees in the air from attempting to brush them into a pan. One bee inside the suit that at worst might sting me once or lots outside that were a little upset with what I was trying to do and probably more inclined to sting.
Once it started to crawl into my ear the calmness disappeared rapidly, walking away became a run and the hood came off without any thought of bees that may be on me.
Once it was in my ear not much I could really do, pouring water in seemed like the best idea as I have heard of water or oil being used to flush out insects.
Personally I think it is fine to be panicked when things like this happen, the secret is to think rationally about what you can do and the consequences of your decisions before acting.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 09:59:05 am »
the secret is to think rationally about what you can do and the consequences of your decisions before acting.

Then you are excited.  A panic is when you lose this control.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 10:45:18 am »
I had one in my ear once.  I was very freaked out.  No matter how hard you try to stay calm, having a buzzing bee in your ear is VERY unnerving.  I tried to drown it as well.  Then tried to pull it out with tweezers.  They can really get a grip!  It was an experience I would like very much to never have again...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 12:57:29 pm »
You acted better than I did. I wuld have freaked out. I hope to never experience this.