Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Breaking a Broody Hen  (Read 6275 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Breaking a Broody Hen
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2024, 02:34:01 pm »
lol  By the time this discussion is over, we might all be chick hatching experts!  :grin:  :cheesy:
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2024, 03:59:00 pm »
By the time this discussion is over, we might all be chick hatching experts

To your question, the dry membrane issue should not happen with the newer incubators.  I suggest you get a cheap temp/humidity digital device to put in the incubator and brooder.  I got a really good one a couple of years ago and I don't think I paid even 10 dollars on Amazon.  It has lasted through chick poop in the brooder so I am happy to have gotten it   :cheesy:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2024, 06:06:14 am »
I have a queen incubator that has one of those nice digital controllers in it.  I'm not sure how well the box would do for chicken eggs though...  The Monkey Ward one has an incandescent light bulb (now illegal) for it's heat source.  It was not as stable temperature wise as the queen incubator is.  Maybe I should look it over.  I might be able to detatch the controler and put it in the chicken incubator.  It's about time to hatch some chicks  Maybe next month but at least by April.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2024, 09:10:32 am »
By the time this discussion is over, we might all be chick hatching experts

To your question, the dry membrane issue should not happen with the newer incubators.  I suggest you get a cheap temp/humidity digital device to put in the incubator and brooder.  I got a really good one a couple of years ago and I don't think I paid even 10 dollars on Amazon.  It has lasted through chick poop in the brooder so I am happy to have gotten it   :cheesy:

Thanks Kathy. Do you off hand know where the humidity level in hatching chicks needs to be?

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2024, 11:14:12 am »
I don't remember.  It should be in the incubator info, or you can find it online.  Maybe 15th knows without looking it up.

The humidity is important all the way through, but especially as they hatch.  If the membrane dries out, they get stuck. 

Michael, if you do chicks, try a warming plate for your brooder.  I used one last year instead of a light and it was way better + I didn't have the fire risk.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2024, 12:43:59 pm »
I don't, but I looked it up.  :rolleyes:  Our incubator recommends 45-55% for setting, and 55-65% for hatching.  You want it to be humid for hatching, but you don't want condensation, as that will make it hard for the chicks to dry.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2024, 06:03:13 pm »
A bit of bad luck. On the second day at egg turning time the incubator was kaputt, and the eggs were cold... Bummer, I guess sometimes a broody hen would be in order.  :cheesy:

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2024, 08:47:55 pm »
A bit of bad luck. On the second day at egg turning time the incubator was kaputt, and the eggs were cold... Bummer, I guess sometimes a broody hen would be in order.  :cheesy:

Sorry to hear that, hope it goes better next time
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2024, 08:59:38 pm »
Thanks Occam. Last night I did a little investigating and found a couple videos showing how to make an incubator using a hot water thermostat. I might go this route. The one that fiddled out was a bought one form Tractor Supply which had didgital readout. I used it for hatching queen cells prior.

Phillip

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2024, 09:09:16 pm »
I used a foam one and did not measure humidity.  I did keep a thermometer in it and did pour a little water in the bottom of it on just guess and tried to be religious on egg turning.   With good temp control and turning, little water some times, it worked out.  My dog knew first when they started hatching and acted like a new mom and hung around the incubator and they are good friends to this day.
I am pretty sure my direction said to put a little water and if in a pretty constant temp area to open the little vents.  This was ten years ago and from my memory and so I hope it helps more the hurts.  Don't make it to hard, just use a little common sense and there is some latitude cause real chicken mamas are not perfect either.  They get up every day for a while.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2024, 10:26:54 pm »
Thanks gww. I like the idea of having the dog in on it for obvious reasons.

I am strongly leaning toward building a home made incubator, kind of like a fellow built in one of the videos. I will post the video a little later in case someone here might be interested . 

Phillip

« Last Edit: February 29, 2024, 10:43:59 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2024, 10:46:35 pm »
Thanks gww. I like the idea of having the dog in on it for obvious reasons.

I am strongly leaning toward building a home made incubator, kind of like a fellow built in one of the videos. I will post the video a little later in case someone here might be interested . 

Phillip

https://youtu.be/3D4gU4FnU94?si=SXVYbSkqeH0cX30w