Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Swarm
« on: August 26, 2021, 06:56:01 pm »

Came home today to find this swarm on the back of one of my hives. Not sure if it?s one of mine or came in from somewhere else. Everything looked normal at all the other hives. Anyone ever had a swarm land like that on a hive? 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Swarm
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2021, 09:56:39 pm »
Nock is their an already established hive using the front of this hive set up in the provided entrance area? If so are you sure there is not a knot hole or access somewhere in this area pictured? Other wise I, for one, have not seen a swarm land on an already established hive. But consider there are some here with much more experience than me which might have seen a swarm in this manner. If so maybe they will speak up. If you are sure it is a swarm what did you do? Or what are your plans?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 12:19:30 am »
Yes I had a swarm land on the back of one of my hives a couple years ago.  I never would have seen it if I hadn't decided to walk across the field to look at them.  It was from one of my hives.  It had been there long enough that after they were removed, there was bits of wax that the bees stuck on the hive.  This time of year, I would assume that it is the older queen from a supersedure from one of your hives.  It is awful late in the year for a swarm to make it through the winter.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 10:57:49 am »
Yeah I agree Cao on being late. It was was a swarm. You could see all the scouts yesterday doing waggle dance. I didn?t have the time to do much yesterday. All I did was sit a box up right next to it. Checked this morning and they didn?t move. So I raked a hand full off on a frame and was looking for the queen. Got lucky and found her right off the bat. Caged her and rubberbanded on a frame and dropped her in. I may pull a frame from couple strong hives and give them little boost

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 10:59:23 am »
Nock is their an already established hive using the front of this hive set up in the provided entrance area? If so are you sure there is not a knot hole or access somewhere in this area pictured? Other wise I, for one, have not seen a swarm land on an already established hive. But consider there are some here with much more experience than me which might have seen a swarm in this manner. If so maybe they will speak up. If you are sure it is a swarm what did you do? Or what are your plans?
Yes there is a established hive using it. No holes on the backside.

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 08:47:16 pm »
I have seen swarms land on occupied hives on 3 occasions.  One time the hive was a nuc and the swarm took over from the original occupants.  They landed on the front of the box, and before I could get any equipment together, they had balled the nuc queen.  The other two landed on the sides and rear of the colonies and I was able to remove from the outside of the boxes and moved them to a different yard.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 10:09:51 am »
I have had a swarm land on a Nuc, take over it, this is called usurpation, then the next day it move into another Nuc and took it over and then a couple of days later they left.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin