Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Washing a Ventilated Suit  (Read 1700 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Washing a Ventilated Suit
« on: August 24, 2021, 05:23:01 pm »
It's coming down toward the fall, and I'm obviously going to need to wash my ventilated suit at some point.  The place I bought mine from said I can machine wash mine, but I'm kind of surprised at that.  It just doesn't seem like the kind of thing that would hold up well in the washer.  They also gave me no other instructions as far as washing it (water temp., cycle settings, etc.).  How you do guys wash vented suits/jackets? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
Re: Washing a Ventilated Suit
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 06:52:28 pm »
I haven?t, but I would wash it on gentle/cool. And line dry it. Might even just put a little dawn or something in rather than detergents with bleach. I hear to stay away from bleach. But that?s just me hearing things that I haven?t actually tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 07:56:02 pm »
Gently wash with cold water, no scented fabric softener just some laundry detergent. Not sure if a little dawn would be a good idea, I have some memories back when I younger of using dish washing liquid while washing a load of cloths and had a bit of a problem with suds overflowing the washing machine. Air dry when done. 

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 08:14:15 pm »
Washed mine on gentle, detergent only. medium temp and line dried. No problem 
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 11:42:07 pm »
Washed mine past weekend. First I filled cold water to maximum capacity then added tide, a good couples gulps of clorox anti-splash bleach. Removed veil and threw both veil and jacket into the washer. Started on gentle cycle, depressing the hatch button while peering in and seeing no problems, moved up to Heavy Duty Fast Fast cycle in the old Kenmore.  Both veil and jacket came out pleasantly good compared to the start. Placed on the back of a chair and added a wind-tunnel fan that I use while working bees in the heat. Dried out well. I'm Satisfied.. If they don't like the smell of the tide and clorox they can't sting through anyway. I really doubt I will have any trouble next time I use it. If I do I will report... I have had this jacket since I started in spring 2018. the elastic is finally weak in both the waist and sleeve areas, no problems. I use an elastic type belt at the bottom waist area and a single #64 rubber band around each sleeve area, works good as new. No complaints. 

Member I don't know the difference in the quality of different manufacturers. Mine is a Man Lake generic ventilated jacket. (no emblems or patches) the cheap version. I do not know how much longer it will hold up but I see no visible end in sight. We will see..

« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 01:48:10 am by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline mark

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2021, 01:23:33 am »
 tag instructions --gentle cycle no chlorine bleach  hand wash veil separately  hang to dry. 

« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 01:30:48 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 01:30:58 am »
Mark I really over-rode those instructions didn't I.  Now you tell me what the tag says lol,, Opps; My suit i.e. had been abused to the point of pitfulness. Kicked around here, laid around there. Thrown in the back of the truck and on and on including mold, stains, etc. I felt I had nothing to lose. So away I went... I do not regret it. (So far) lol Now if my nice looking ventilated bee jacket falls apart upon the next use I might turn to regret lol

I suppose in this case don't do as I do... If in doubt.  :shocked: :grin:

Edit: i.e. In the first line I said suit, I have no suit, its not a suit it is a jacket. Sorry for the typo.  Adding I do not know if a full suit would work in a regular washing machine?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 07:08:55 am by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Brian MCquilkin

• House Bee
    • Ideal Honey Bees
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2021, 11:59:20 am »
I wash mine in the washer, the hood is removed and washed separately by hand.
Phip thee Beeman washes with a pressure washer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR0rY-1osnk
Nextime at the car wash ill try it
Despite my efforts the bees are doing great

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2021, 12:59:38 pm »
Thanks everyone.  It seems the washer is no problem for them.  I will probably not use bleach, just because I don't care if it's really white or not as long as it's clean and doesn't smell anymore.  :grin:
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2021, 03:59:13 pm »
Good choice member. If my jacket was new or newer I wouldn't have either. In my case the elastic has lost much of  its strength and it simply was time my jacket had more help than what tide alone could do. I am not recommending bleach but sharing what I did. Probably wrong.  :grin:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2021, 04:03:45 pm »
I have also considered using Awesome. I am thinking if the jacket was soaked in awesome and then power washed as in Mr MCquilkin video, we might be pleasantly surprised? Just a thought.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2021, 04:15:58 pm »
I think bees dislike dryer sheet & fragrance and soaps.  My hives are crabby when I can smell the neighbors' dryer duct at an outyard.  Must smell awful to them.

Why use dish soap...Especially toxic/carcingenic dish soap...?  Right now Windex is in a class action lawsuit for carcingenic chemicals in their products.  Check what you use at EWG.
     These products have a FAIL rating as far as safe household chems:
https://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners/1727-TideLiquidDetergentwithDawnStainScrubbersWhitewaterClean/
https://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners/1635-DawnPowerDissolver/
https://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners/5507-DawnUltraConcentratedDishwashingLiquidNewZealandSprings/

Persoanlly I use unscented laundry soap on machine gentle, veil off. Veil handwashes in the shower and hang to dry.  I wash it as needed several times over summer.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2021, 09:50:14 pm »
Just be careful 15th and don't let your hand get caught in the wringer.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda