Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cleaning Plastic Frames/Foundation  (Read 2276 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Cleaning Plastic Frames/Foundation
« on: August 17, 2021, 09:00:04 pm »
What is your favorite way of cleaning plastic foundation? Has anyone here tried using a power washer for cleaning plastic frames?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 09:15:41 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
Re: Cleaning Plastic Frames/Foundation
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 09:31:09 pm »
I used a power washer for some plastic foundation I had for a couple of supers, worked very well. I quickly learned to do it on the expanded metal bottom of my utility trailer. Just laying it on the ground you get a ton of muddy blowback and the edge of the trailer held the foundation still also.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 11:16:39 pm »
I like to leave the frames out side where bugs have access to it. They will strip them clean. Takes a while. Then use the pressure washer to clean them up.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2021, 12:15:32 am »
Does anyone really like to clean frames?  I have tried the pressure washer.  I have tried soaking them in lye.  I have dipped them in hot water.   If you are going to try to save any wax then I would go for the hot water.  I use a turkey frying pot full of water.  You dip one side at a time letting all the wax and combs come off.   Some scraping is necessary for the dark comb.  The real key is to have the water hotter than the melting point of wax but not hot enough to warp the plastic.  Boiling water is too hot.   If you get it right, a little scraping and a couple smacks on the top of the fryer pan after soaking the frame, will dislodge most of the cocoons.  I've done around 500 frames this year so far.  Got about 100 more to do once it cools off.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 06:03:04 pm »
Does anyone really like to clean frames?  I have tried the pressure washer.  I have tried soaking them in lye.  I have dipped them in hot water.   If you are going to try to save any wax then I would go for the hot water.  I use a turkey frying pot full of water.  You dip one side at a time letting all the wax and combs come off.   Some scraping is necessary for the dark comb.  The real key is to have the water hotter than the melting point of wax but not hot enough to warp the plastic.  Boiling water is too hot.   If you get it right, a little scraping and a couple smacks on the top of the fryer pan after soaking the frame, will dislodge most of the cocoons.  I've done around 500 frames this year so far.  Got about 100 more to do once it cools off.

Cao, I built my own OAV vaporizer. I used the Inkbird PID. I bet if a person really wanted to, they could rig a system up using one of these to maintain a maximum minimum  temperature range for a larger system than a turkey cooker. With a little imagination, this could turn into something good? 
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 09:57:29 pm »
I would think a heating element from an electric hot water heater would be a good start for a larger frame cook pot. I bet with a little tweaking it would be able to use most of the temperature control circuits. It wouldn't be a PID circuit but for the application I bet it would work fine. 

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 01:28:11 am »
I would think a heating element from an electric hot water heater would be a good start for a larger frame cook pot. I bet with a little tweaking it would be able to use most of the temperature control circuits. It wouldn't be a PID circuit but for the application I bet it would work fine.

Actually Beeboy a PID circuit control should be easy to wire to an element as you describe. I have not studied the whole picture of the inkbird PID. I use 110 for my OAV vaporizer. If I am not mistaken hot water heating elements are usually 220? I don't know, I am asking. Even so a PID as such may work on both? Anyway you are throwing the ball in the right direction for progress . Thank you for your reply!

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Cleaning Plastic Frames/Foundation
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 01:41:28 am »
Plastic frames clean best with COLD-FRIGID water and a rotating power ball turbo style nozzle on the pressure washer.  Wear a rainsuit and a faceshield as the shape of the base of the foundation cups sends it in every conceivable direction.  Cold wax is brittle, it shrinks, and pops off effortlessly. If you are blessed to be on a cooler northern climate, wait until mid to late Fall for this job. So the cold you need for it to work right is not being countered by warm weather and sunshine.
If you are thinking and planning a rig that is hot thinking of melting wax off, I will suggest that would be going in the wrong direction whereby you can expect mediocre results and permanently warped frames.

Hope that helps!
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 01:56:54 am »
I have just the tip you are describing. Thanks.  The rest of this post is just curiosity: In a commercial setting, are their usually many of these plastic foundations per year that need to be cleaned or reclaimed?  The question has a double purpose, second part: The reason I ask is do you have a convenient setup where the removed wax can float or drift and accumulate for collecting for the purpose of future rendering? Or is it worth the added trouble to do so? Commercial folks think big so I figure it might be a possibility?..  :grin: thanks

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 07:59:44 am »
I have given up cleaning plastic foundation, time, effort, getting thoroughly wet and then having to rewax them.
For $1 a sheet i just put new ones in and all is easy.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2021, 08:14:50 am »
I have given up cleaning plastic foundation, time, effort, getting thoroughly wet and then having to rewax them.
For $1 a sheet i just put new ones in and all is easy.
👍🏻

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2021, 08:35:13 pm »
I would say that in a commercial setting where you are in production mode, that the pressure washer is probably the way to go.  But in my case where I want to salvage whatever I can from the drawn comb the hot water works better.  I can scoop the wax and cocoons off the top and strain it through some screen to get a good amount of the wax with little effort.  That slumgum can be processed further if one wants to get more of the wax out.  The dipping of the frames in water also leaves a film of wax on them so you don't necessarily need to wax them later. 

Also, as a side note, the reason I have these frames to clean out in the first place is SHB's taking over a hive.  Dipping these frames in hot water kills a LOT of beetle larva.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2021, 09:39:10 pm »
Good post Cao. What do you think of the ideas that Beeboy01 and I were discussing, would something in this neighborhood be beneficial to you in your operation?

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2021, 12:36:10 am »
I do have some temperature controls similar to your Inkbird PID.  In fact I got two of them on my honey warming cabinet.

For me it was a matter that I already had the lp tank and burner for when I fry fish.  I got a couple turkey frying pans at auction for about $10.  So other than time, the only expense was the gas.  An electric burner of any kind would deliver a more constant heat than the gas flame.  With a good temperature control you could keep the temperature at the right amount easier than the flame.   

You know that with a pot with a heat source and your Inkbird PID, all you need is a chiller and some tubing and your favorite mash recipe and you can have a some good 'shine'.  :wink:

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2021, 12:51:15 am »
You know that with a pot with a heat source and your Inkbird PID, all you need is a chiller and some tubing and your favorite mash recipe and you can have a some good 'shine'.  :wink:

Att ohh, lol  :cheesy: :wink:

anything