Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Fermentation?  (Read 5137 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: Fermentation?
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2021, 01:33:40 pm »
>my mom is concerned about cooking or baking with this honey, as she's worried the weird flavor of the honey will affect the quality of the food.

Just a thought, Perhaps she could add in recipes which call for cooking sherry?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2021, 01:38:38 pm »

I'll see if I can find that video
, Bob Binnie always has great advice.  While it is unfortunate, it's yet another opportunity to learn, which I am always grateful for.  :smile:

You won't have to. I found it for you. He discusses many outlooks including cold, heat, taste of honey, etc. enjoy!

https://youtu.be/qAat1XQ-yiI
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2021, 02:09:01 pm »

I'll see if I can find that video
, Bob Binnie always has great advice.  While it is unfortunate, it's yet another opportunity to learn, which I am always grateful for.  :smile:

You won't have to. I found it for you. He discusses many outlooks including cold, heat, taste of honey, etc. enjoy!

https://youtu.be/qAat1XQ-yiI
Thanks!  I'll take a look at that.

>my mom is concerned about cooking or baking with this honey, as she's worried the weird flavor of the honey will affect the quality of the food.

Just a thought, Perhaps she could add in recipes which call for cooking sherry?
To be honest, she doesn't cook with alcohol hardly at all, just beer very occasionally. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline merryn

• New Bee
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2021, 04:09:54 am »
Seeing as though it is already fermenting why not add organic whole peeled garlic cloves and get double the goodness of the garlic and honey.
Bee Happy

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2021, 11:24:24 am »
Seeing as though it is already fermenting why not add organic whole peeled garlic cloves and get double the goodness of the garlic and honey.
I've never heard of this before, so I gave it a Google.  It looks interesting.  My concern is that most people make this with normal honey.  Would there be any concerns about the safety or intensity of the fermentation process if I used honey that is already fermented? 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline merryn

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2021, 02:46:35 am »
I am by no means an expert but if you add garlic it would definitely ferment in the honey but I am not sure if it would kick off honey fermentation further or indeed, again.   As with anything try a small jar and see how it tastes after a couple of weeks.
Bee Happy

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Fermentation?
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2021, 01:25:13 pm »
FYI. When cooking with ingredients that have alcohol, note that there is no alcohol in the finished dish.  The alcohol vaporizes and is gone during cooking.  Alcohol has a vapour temperature of roughly 170F.  Only the flavours of the ingredient remain; and those flavours are substantially changed in cooking process.
As mentioned.  For cooking with your questionable bucket. Think MEATS.  Marinades, rubs, baked on glazes/basting, BBQ sauces, gravies, etc.
Otherwise just dump it out in the wild and move on. 
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2021, 08:15:21 pm »
My mom tried baking honey wheat bread with the fermented honey and it tasted totally normal, so we'll probably freeze the honey and use it up in bread.  She is also planning on trying a new BBQ sauce that uses a decent amount of honey, as most of her go-to meat add-ons don't use enough to make a significant dent.  Thanks for all the help, everyone.  Here's a glory shot of the bread for your trouble.  :cheesy:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2021, 01:12:13 pm »
FYI. When cooking with ingredients that have alcohol, note that there is no alcohol in the finished dish.  The alcohol vaporizes and is gone during cooking.  Alcohol has a vapour temperature of roughly 170F.  Only the flavours of the ingredient remain; and those flavours are substantially changed in cooking process.
As mentioned.  For cooking with your questionable bucket. Think MEATS.  Marinades, rubs, baked on glazes/basting, BBQ sauces, gravies, etc.
Otherwise just dump it out in the wild and move on. 

I like your good advice here Mr HoneyPump, especially, "Think MEATS.  Marinades, rubs, baked on glazes/basting, BBQ sauces, gravies, etc."   Good stuff from you as usual!

The15thMember
My mom tried baking honey wheat bread with the fermented honey and it tasted totally normal, so we'll probably freeze the honey and use it up in bread.  She is also planning on trying a new BBQ sauce that uses a decent amount of honey, as most of her go-to meat add-ons don't use enough to make a significant dent.  Thanks for all the help, everyone.  Here's a glory shot of the bread for your trouble.  :cheesy:

Glad y'all found a suitable use for this Reagan. None of us want to lose or see honey wasted... As our friends from England might say "Good Show".  :grin:

« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 01:38:23 pm by Ben Framed »

salvo

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2021, 07:49:09 pm »
Hi Folks, 15,

I'd go with *use it*. Cook with it, use as *raw ingredient* for sauce/sweetener, etc.

I make *jun* with it. You like green tea. Your yeast will make your Scobie. Add it to green tea. Slice in some raw ginger. Wait a week or so. Cool it. Drink it. Be sure to keep your teeth clenched to strain out the bits and stiff slimy stuff. Excellent probiotic, refreshing drink. Better yet, draw from the bottom.

My wife won't drink it. I've drunk worse,... much worse. This stuff is good and refreshing.

I recently came off 21 days of antibiotics for Lyme. It knocks heck out of your good gut bacteria. I'm eating a lot of *fermented stuff*.

https://nourishedkitchen.com/how-to-make-jun-tea/

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/food-features/fermented-honey/

Sal

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2021, 04:08:45 pm »
I've never heard of this before, so I gave it a Google.  It looks interesting.  My concern is that most people make this with normal honey.  Would there be any concerns about the safety or intensity of the fermentation process if I used honey that is already fermented? 
I am by no means an expert but if you add garlic it would definitely ferment in the honey but I am not sure if it would kick off honey fermentation further or indeed, again.   As with anything try a small jar and see how it tastes after a couple of weeks.

So I wanted to give a quick update to this thread.  I found a jar of honey on the shelf just before Thanksgiving which was only very slightly fermented, so I decided to give the honey garlic a try.  I did some looking about it online and found this recipe (if you can call it that, it's extremely easy to make).  https://www.growforagecookferment.com/fermented-honey-garlic/

I only made a half pint because I wasn't sure how we'd like it.  (I have it sitting in a little dish in case the fermentation gets a little out of hand and bubbles out, which it did once or twice, but it seems to have stabilized now.)  About a week ago we gave it a taste and it is so good!  It makes the garlic nice and sweet so you can just eat it straight up, and the garlic-y honey is so rich and savory, it would be great in a marinade of some sort.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2021, 11:18:59 pm »
I want some garlic honey. That would be like Frank?s Red Sauce. I?d put that ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2021, 12:57:53 pm »
I want some garlic honey. That would be like Frank?s Red Sauce. I?d put that ?
Seriously, give it a try.  You don't need fermented honey to do it; normal raw honey will work just as well.  It just may take a little longer for the yeasts to get active.