Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 5 Frame queen excluder  (Read 3522 times)

Offline 220

• House Bee
5 Frame queen excluder
« on: February 15, 2017, 03:19:44 am »
Does such a thing exist in Aus?
Have a cut out I did in a 5x5x5 nuc, inspected today and the queen has laid in the top box that still has comb I transferred from the cut out. They have bits of timber and crap all through the comb and I wanted to pull them out as soon as possible. Thinking if I make sure the queen is in one of the bottom 2 boxes with new frames and put an excluder on, the 3 frames of brood can hatch and if they don't back fill with honey to quickly I should be able to pull them.

Should be easy enough to cut down a metal 8 frame but if 5 frame excluders are available easier still.

Online max2

• Queen Bee
Re: 5 Frame queen excluder
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 04:28:21 am »
Never seen a 5 frame excluder.

A plastic one is easy to cut down

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 01:56:54 pm »
Add 5 frames in a box between the 2 boxes. as the larvae hatch out there is a good chance she will not lay in it.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 03:40:40 pm »
saw
If what you say to do is done, do the bees make queen cells with the brood in the box above the empty.  I ask for a differrent reason then the op.
Thanks
gww

Offline 220

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 05:57:05 pm »
Actually have 5 fresh frames of drawn foundation the queen is laying in on the bottom, 5 partially drawn frames in the next box up and 5 old frames on top.
A little bit of brood in the middle box but looks like the queen is bypassing it and laying in the top and bottom boxes at this stage.

anything