Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Brood Disease and Cross Comb  (Read 824 times)

Offline codeboy

• New Bee
    • Beeginnings
Brood Disease and Cross Comb
« on: July 13, 2012, 09:27:20 am »
After my last hive inspection, I'm concerned that one hive has some sort of Foulbrood.  I've seen some test kits on Dadant, has anyone used them?  Have any advice?

http://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=101&products_id=717

http://beeginnings.blogspot.com/2012/07/07-10-2012-triple-disaster-strikes.html

Second issue I have is after two weeks my box of foundationless comb went from empty to almost full of bat crazy cross comb!  At this point it seems like it would be a waste to destroy all of that just to have straight comb.  Thoughts anyone?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:41:05 am by Robo »

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Brood Disease and Cross Comb
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 09:38:55 am »
Does the hive have a foul odor. That is usually the first sign. Our inspector swears he can walk through an apiary and pick out a possible American foul brood hive just by smell. Sometimes the smell is just dead bees so you cannot go by smell alone.

Since the wax is new, get some empty frames, put 3 rubber bands on each end, cut the comb, place it in the frame and slide the rubber bands over the comb to hold it in place. The bees will attach it to the frame in a day or 2 and cut the rubber bands off and drag them out the front door. This is the same thing you do when you do a cut out from a home or building. Look under Honey Bee Removal and watch the videos of how it is done.
Good luck.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline codeboy

• New Bee
    • Beeginnings
Re: Brood Disease and Cross Comb
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 09:49:20 am »
Good question Jim.  No it does not have an odor.  I actually did make a point of smelling the comb because a member of our bee club brought in some foulbrood comb and had us all smell it.  This comb had no odor, although from my recent reading it seems sometimes it will have the odor and sometimes it won't.

Right, I remember seeing some videos using the rubber band.  I'll have to give that a shot!

anything