Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm removal  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Occam

• House Bee
Swarm removal
« on: June 04, 2023, 01:24:47 am »
Mentioned collecting a swarm in another thread, thought I'd post it here. I got the call yesterday, another beek that didn't have room for another swarm passed my number along. I stopped over on my way home. The swarm was about 15 feet up on a branch and about 6 feet out from the trunk of the tree. Backed my box truck over and climbed up on the roof like any reasonable person. Removed branch,  shook bees from branch into nuc box. Never saw the queen and wasn't sure I had her (I didn't) but had somewhere I had to be so I closed the box, strapped it to my ladder and left it. Sure enough, got back early this morning and the swarm was clustered on the next closest branch.

Set up in the back of my pickup truck with an 8' a frame ladder,  cut the branch and brought the whole thing down to the ground.  Two shakes into the box, left the branch next to the box and within a couple minutes they were coming out of the air into the box. Left the lid off while I packed up ladders and by that time there was almost no flying activity and the girls were settling in. Gave them a few more minutes and took them home.
Entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Swarm removal
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 07:19:29 am »
Occam,
That looks like a really nice large swarm. They might be able to make some honey for you this year if you have a good flow starting.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2023, 11:40:53 am »
That would be nice, fingers crossed

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2023, 12:21:07 am »
How did it work out Occam?

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Occam

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2023, 02:50:10 pm »
Unfortunately this was rhe swarm that I referred to in General Beekeeping under the heading Swarm Die Off. Sorry, I don't know how to link threads.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2023, 03:01:46 pm »
Unfortunately this was rhe swarm that I referred to in General Beekeeping under the heading Swarm Die Off. Sorry, I don't know how to link threads.

It's not that hard to do. Here's what I do. when you go to the post that you would like to share the link thread address of, you copy the name of the reply.

Example: On your last post here is says:
<<Reply #4 on: Today at 02:50:10 pm >>

You simply blue out Re: Swarm removal, click on this and it will give you several options. Choose "copy link address', Then past it where you want it. I hope that helps..

Phillip

https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=56526.msg518557#msg518557
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything