Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cuban beekeeping  (Read 6932 times)

Offline paus

• Field Bee
Re: Cuban beekeeping
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 09:30:59 am »
I totally agree with sawdust maker. I read an article somewhere,  yeah , yeah, I know that's like "they say".  There was a list of all the tractors, trucks and of the BTUs used in making ethanol, this research summed all of the BTUs and it took 55,000 BTUs to produce one gallon of 38,000 BTU ethanol. Someone didn't think this out.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 09:22:52 pm »
Even so, if it didn't reduce vehicles mileage and destroy small engines (like lawn mowers, etc.), maybe it wouldn't be such a disaster.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2016, 09:57:49 am »
Every newspaper in the world has it's own agenda, and although I wouldn't expect the international audience to know this - the Guardian is very much a Left Wing newspaper - so you'd expect it's articles to be biased favourably towards Cuba.

Just because an article appears in print, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's not biased, or even based on fact.
LJ

A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2016, 12:31:55 pm »
Even so, if it didn't reduce vehicles mileage and destroy small engines (like lawn mowers, etc.), maybe it wouldn't be such a disaster.
Add to that list tractors, weed wackers, chain saws and everyother engine on the farm. It destroys rubber seals in no time.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2016, 04:10:34 pm »
My local time is 2:05 as I start to write.  about ten minutes ago  I came in  from the cool where a friend and I have been working on a log splitter that took us over 3 hrs to get running because of ethanol in the gasoline. It had softened or dissolved all of the hoses and gaskets. 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2016, 09:08:57 am »
>Supposedly 100% organic and allegedly loss-free beekeeping.

Isolationism has it's advantages and it's disadvantages...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2016, 08:27:04 am »
 Living in extreme south Florida I have quite a few friends who still have family in Cuba trust me the Cubans don't consider it "organic" farming they consider it subsistence farming and the only reason they don't use pesticides or fertilizers other than cow manure and compost  is because they can't get it because of the communist scenario being played out there....that article has some glaring misinformation in places and paints a much rosier picture than is portrayed by the family of Cubans still stuck there.
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2016, 08:43:23 am »
the Cubans don't consider it "organic" farming they consider it subsistence farming
I wonder what percentage of Cubans die of cancer, Alzheimer, Parkinson and heart disease.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2016, 10:59:03 am »
Hard to say because if there's one thing a communist government is better at than even the Clinton's....it's media control ;-)
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline jimineycricket

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2016, 10:29:45 am »
I wonder what percentage of Cubans die of cancer, Alzheimer, Parkinson and heart disease.
I suspect that the percentage of old age conditions is less than in a place where the life expectancy is 60 years.  :wink:
jimmy

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2016, 12:51:44 pm »
Fidel 90, Rual 85, still living, Juanita 83, still living.  Poverty has a lot to do with a short life span.  The environment and the food you eat has a lot to do with how healthy you are.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2017, 09:04:05 pm »
Add to that list tractors, weed wackers, chain saws and everyother engine on the farm. It destroys rubber seals in no time.

I see you have the exact same idea as the farmer where I keep my honeybees. What he does send someone to the airport to get Aviation gas. He tells me he has a lot less repairs on all his machinery. Plus he has more power on his chain saws and small engines then with pump gas.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 09:15:48 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2017, 10:21:53 pm »
I now buy ethanol free gas. It cost about 65 cents more per gallon but it does not damage my equipment.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2017, 02:33:54 pm »
>Hard to say because if there's one thing a communist government is better at than even the Clinton's....it's media control ;-)

Well, now they passed their "fake news bill" so it's coming...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2023, 05:16:47 pm »
Supposedly 100% organic and allegedly loss-free beekeeping.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/09/organic-honey-is-a-sweet-success-for-cuba-as-other-bee-populations-suffer

The original post and its intent is Interesting. The rest sound like politics of the Coffeehouse lol

« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 05:35:09 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2023, 01:16:56 pm »
Just a thought.  Producing ethanol takes 55,000 BTU, mostly diesel to produce one gallon of ethanol which has only 38,00 but per gallon.  Typical logic for our "Rulers".  Phillip you are right but here is my first thought anyway.

anything