Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: GIRLS TEAR UP PLAYING FIELD IN 32 TO 3 ROUT OVER SHB TEAM!  (Read 7585 times)

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
Sports News: 

In a stunning 7 day series, Bees scored 10 against every 1 of the SHB's takedown, while playing on a new field of H700.

The game got tighter as the playfield was shredded in this triumphant victory for the Girls.  The field was replaced at a cost of about .10 USD, but stadium owners had to buy H700 in bulk for that pricing. 

More playoff action ahead for all hives this year! 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 02:51:48 pm by FloridaGardener »

Offline Dabbler

• House Bee
Re: GIRLS TEAR UP PLAYING FIELD IN 32 TO 3 ROUT OVER SHB TEAM!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 04:10:39 pm »
 :cheesy:
Go Girls  !
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the tests first, the lessons afterwards .
-Vernon Sanders Law

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 04:48:20 pm »
Dabbler, Go Bills!
Our family is in Orchard Park, can hear the stadium roar when the Bills score. 

Offline Dabbler

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 08:18:58 am »
FG
Thanks ! I understand Florida as a good sized Buffalo, expat community.

Unfortunately your family doesn't hear nearly enough roars.  :wink:
. . . . there's always next year, right?

I am pretty much kitty-corner across the county, in Akron.

Best Wishes to your Apis team this year. Hope they win the Honey Bowl.  :grin:
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the tests first, the lessons afterwards .
-Vernon Sanders Law

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 03:42:20 pm »
FloridaGardener. How large a piece of towel did you put in? Looks like a 2 inch piece. and only 1, or several? And where did you place them?

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 10:31:15 pm »
The towel comes folded in four equal sections.  So I cut it at the folds: one towel for four hives. 
Yes, it started out large and flat.  The ?Daisy? girls spun it up into the lump full of beetles in the photo above.  The ?Clover? hive picked at the edge at first, then learned to herd the SHB into the fuzz trap.  So Clover?s towel lasted longer.  Just too bad I had to buy the towels by the case...I?m probably supplied until 2079. 

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 05:07:15 pm »
I just bought a pack of those the other day when I was at Kelly?s. Haven?t put them in yet.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 08:11:54 pm »
ROUND TWO

Daisy Hive: Over 100, stopped counting. Some folded over inside the lump of textile. SHB were still stuck & flailing when I pulled this out.
SBH: Looks like 7 bees got stuck too.

Yes...it was flat to begin with.
Yes...that's a piece of rubber band that is now melded into the lump of H700.

Daisy hive has the best know-how on this, and also the worst SHB problem.  This is an out-yard at a friend's home. There are chickens, and there's a big problem with ants, flies, and SHB. 

My other hives use the H700 too, but not so many captives.
I took a 10 second video of this lump, upon request I will post it if someone wants to see gross SHBs ...or wants to gloat.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 12:08:22 am by FloridaGardener »

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 02:01:30 am »
ROUND TWO

Daisy Hive: Over 100, stopped counting. Some folded over inside the lump of textile. SHB were still stuck & flailing when I pulled this out.
SBH: Looks like 7 bees got stuck too.

Yes...it was flat to begin with.
Yes...that's a piece of rubber band that is now melded into the lump of H700.

Daisy hive has the best know-how on this, and also the worst SHB problem.  This is an out-yard at a friend's home. There are chickens, and there's a big problem with ants, flies, and SHB. 

My other hives use the H700 too, but not so many captives.
I took a 10 second video of this lump, upon request I will post it if someone wants to see gross SHBs ...or wants to gloat.

Now that is awesome! What is the difference in your sheets and the swifer sheets as far as the texture?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 04:09:50 pm »
Never tried Swiffer.  This is the same product as Brawny Dine-a-Max.

Daisy leads the pack again with the best hive beetle trounce, but sadly, with some injury for Team Apis this week.

I keep moving Daisy Hive into more sunshine, 2 ft per week.  I can't figure out why she's got so many more SHB than the hive right next to her. 

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 04:15:58 pm »
Never tried Swiffer.  This is the same product as Brawny Dine-a-Max.

Daisy leads the pack again with the best hive beetle trounce, but sadly, with some injury for Team Apis this week.

I keep moving Daisy Hive into more sunshine, 2 ft per week.  I can't figure out why she's got so many more SHB than the hive right next to her.

Thanks for you answer F G .  I do not know the answer as to why Daisy hive has the most problems  either, perhaps Jim,  Paus or some other of our experts will know the answer and chime in. Wishing you the best .
Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 04:42:46 pm »
Ha! I did wonder if they're saying:  'Go ahead. I dare you."

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2019, 05:14:34 pm »
Usually the hive that is stressed the most will have the most beetles assuming they get the same amount of sunlight. Inspections are the biggest contributor, failing queen, getting ready to/swarming. I have had a 4 box strong hive have over 300 SBHs in/above/below it and it had full sun with a concrete pad under it.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2019, 05:26:49 pm »
Usually the hive that is stressed the most will have the most beetles assuming they get the same amount of sunlight. Inspections are the biggest contributor, failing queen, getting ready to/swarming. I have had a 4 box strong hive have over 300 SBHs in/above/below it and it had full sun with a concrete pad under it.
Jim Altmiller

Thanks Jim, that is overwhelming!! Is it safe to guess that this happened before SBB and the oil trays ?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2019, 05:52:28 pm »
No this was a couple of years after I stopped putting oil in the pans. This hive normally did not have more than a beetle or 2 because it was in full sun. I was really surprised when I opened it up. I had to empty my smoker trash can and dump them in it. There were way more than I could kill by hand as I am accustomed to doing.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2019, 03:01:59 am »
No this was a couple of years after I stopped putting oil in the pans. This hive normally did not have more than a beetle or 2 because it was in full sun. I was really surprised when I opened it up. I had to empty my smoker trash can and dump them in it. There were way more than I could kill by hand as I am accustomed to doing.
Jim Altmiller

Wow that was a lot of beetles in one hive. Jim, since you do not put oil in the pans any longer, do you use DE, or simply nothing at all?  I read a post recently by iddee where he said he has never lost a hive to SHB as all his hives are also placed in the sun.
Phillip

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2019, 07:13:41 am »
SHBs are not a problem here at my farm. They get lots of sunlight and the soil is rather dry. In Jacksonxille they were in full shade and moist soil. The beetles loved it.
I just have empty pans on the hives that I built. The rest are part of the Apiary that I bought and they just have Screen bottoms. I put corrugated plastic boards under them for oxalic fuming.
Jim Altmiller
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2019, 12:03:12 am »
SHBs are not a problem here at my farm. They get lots of sunlight and the soil is rather dry. In Jacksonxille they were in full shade and moist soil. The beetles loved it.
I just have empty pans on the hives that I built. The rest are part of the Apiary that I bought and they just have Screen bottoms. I put corrugated plastic boards under them for oxalic fuming.
Jim Altmiller

Here in North Mississippi where I live we have moist soil this year due to all the rain, but so far the SHB had not been much of a problem. My hives are very strong and I am sure that this also helps.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2019, 12:22:32 am »
I need to check these H7500 towel traps more often than once a week. I killed 10-15 beetles myself today, a lot of them tangled in the towels, not to mention the 20 dead beetles already there. However, the hive still seems strong and active. I saw no slimy comb, and the bees are still building comb and capping honey.
I also went through almost the entire hive with no gloves, as I always do now. I know my first sting is going to come sooner or later. I don't suppose I am a real beekeeper until then.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2019, 12:18:53 am »
Checked the towel traps again today. I was pleased to see that the SHB population was way down. From 40-50 to 10-12. Some dead, a few I dispatched. The towels were shredded again, because I didn't get there sooner like I planned. And the hive was less happy than usual. A few of them started harassing me a little at the end. I think there may be a dearth going on some. They didn't build as much as I expected, although the combs looked good with capped honey, eggs and brood.