Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Nuplas or hasson in hot tropics  (Read 3153 times)

Offline sixtus

• New Bee
Nuplas or hasson in hot tropics
« on: October 22, 2019, 05:08:02 am »
I was sort of interested in the simplicity of the plastic but I have searched a few threads where the plastic units may not be considered the best option in the tropics?

Any definitive opinions on that?

This is the north QLD coast for the record Innisfail/babinda, where summer will push 45 degree temps, 90% humidity and obviously a lot of rainfall/ Also involves mould growing on a lot of stuff when the monsoon dumps a couple of meters of rain.

Not sure if any of these factors have an effect on the choice of plastic. For the record I am a new beekeeper who has his hands on a few  second hand wooden boxes already.

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
Re: Nuplas or hasson in hot tropics
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 07:15:51 am »
Hi Sixtus

My experience with Nuplas hives in the tropics:

Im not far from you and i have been using Nuplas for 3 years.
One of the commercial guys up here runs about 400 Nuplas hives.

I chose plastic so i didnt have to worry about rot. Mine are all 10 frame deeps.

I love the vented base and the sturdy lids.

I wish the inner box dimentions were slightly wider though. The 10 frames fit snug when new....but add a touch of propolis, a dash of timber frame expansion and a hint of box warping and the frames can become tight.

Im shaving my frames down a millimeter now to overcome my problem.

Many up here are using pine...just keep the paint up. Im sure all materials have pros and cons!

Offline sixtus

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 12:22:41 am »
Okay thanks mate, seems to be some varying information out there, good to get opinions.

Offline Bee North

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 06:23:09 am »
seems to be some varying information out there
Yep....welcome to beekeeping!!

Offline wet bee

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 06:24:28 pm »
I have 14 Nuplas and 4 wooden.
Nuplas is the only way to go in this region. Hassons , being one solid unit , are too expensive to ship up this way.
As Bee North said , the vented base (with beetle trap) and rebated lids are tough. Just don't rest your smoker on them.
I found the wooden boxes absorbed too much moisture which encouraged mould and fungi to grow so now keep them under cover.
Nuplas hives are also easy to clean. Just scrape and spray on bleach and they come up looking brand new.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 06:48:31 pm by wet bee »