Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Handles – Video of the Korschgen jig for a drill press  (Read 9591 times)

Offline CarlinMO

• New Bee
Hive Handles – Video of the Korschgen jig for a drill press
« on: January 29, 2011, 05:33:15 pm »
See the video link below for an explanation and demonstration of my system.  You can safely make professional hive handles for a box in less than 2 minutes.
Hive Handles using a drill press jig

The size of hive box (10 frame, 8 frame, or nuc) is not an issue at all.  Longer hive sides such as Kelly, or smaller hive sides such as for 8-frame or nucs would have a jig of exactly the same basic design.  For Kelly you just increase the length of the base board about 1/8”.   For shorter hive components you just cut the base board about 1/8” longer than the longest side.  The vertical supports with the levers for the shorter board of whatever component you are making would be adjusted accordingly.  Note that the length of the base board and position of the vertical supports is also an issue depending upon whether you use box joints, rabbet, or butt the boards together.

Depth of boards (hive body or super) is not an issue either since you are always working 1 1/2" from the top of the board in an upside down mode.

Also, there are drill presses with circular tables.  All you would need to do is attach (with clamps or recessed bolts) a 12-14" square piece of 3/4” plywood to the circular table.  I have detailed instructions that show how to calibrate the jig to the drill press.

Carl Korschgen
Columbia, Missouri 65203
Email:  carlkorsch@aol.com

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 06:59:10 pm by buzzbee »

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
Re: Hive Handles – Video of the Korschgen jig for a drill press
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 05:45:23 pm »
Guy's I asked him to show this he came from another site so Hope I don't get in any trouble for posting his Video
I have no more than what stated in this :-D

Removed after he was able to put his own video up  :-D

Tommyt
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 11:17:37 am by Tommyt »
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 06:02:21 pm »
Nice video.  Much better that cutting with a skill saw.    Do you have anything with the jig that keep the depth of the cut the same each time or from going to deep, or does the chuck keep that from happening?

Offline CarlinMO

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 06:08:40 pm »
All handles are cut exactly to the same depth and length.  The guide on the bottom of the base board acts as a stop to prevent the cut being too deep.  The guides on the top of the jig contact the chuck of the drill press to limit the length of the handle cut.

All,
I forgot to update the part number for the flared contour wheel manufactured by Oliver Carbide Products.  The part number should be 122.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 10:03:34 am by CarlinMO »

Offline tandemrx

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 07:16:47 am »
excellent video production and very neat jig - ingenious

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 08:36:02 am »
Brilliant!

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 05:23:00 pm »
Just exactly what I have been looking for.  Thanks for the time and effort that was put into this.
James
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline Humanbeeing

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 11:19:11 pm »
This system has the best results. I saw it on Beesource a while back and I wanted to go for it, but my little bench mount drill press just isn't up to HOGGING it out. Plus, I don't have room for a floor mount drill press...yet.  :roll:
HELP! I accidently used Drone eggs with the Hopkins method and I got Drag Queens!!!

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 11:00:40 pm »
That's awesome! I think i'm going to have to give this a shot.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 01:06:32 pm »
Just keep in mind, those flare wheels arent cheap. I forget what I paid for mine exactly, but it knocked the stew out of a $100 bill.

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 08:27:39 pm »
Is anyone one this Board using one ???
I'd like to hear what you think of it

Thanks
Tommyt

I believe the wheel is $80 american
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline CharlesInWA

• Brood
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 03:23:20 am »
I am using this jig and it works great.  I have already done 25 boxes. I was going to attach a picture but guess I am too new  :-D.  I did a google search on 390SSG and found a local tire shop supply store in Seattle that stocks the rubber hog flair wheel. For the wheel & the arbor I paid $53.  I also purchased the poly plug to go inside the wheel for $38. The poly plug gives extra support to the wheel. If you ever need to replace the wheel because it is worn out, you can re-use the poly plug. The web site of the supply store is www nwsalesgroup com.  I do not know if they ship orders. I purchased directly from the store.  The idea here is to do a search and maybe you can find a local tire shop supply place to purchase.

I use a Delta DP350 bench top drill press.  These go on sale from time to time at Rockler's for $200.  A more expensive floor model drill press would be better but this is working for me.  I already had this drill press before purchasing the jig.

This is a very safe and easy system to use.  I plan on doing hundreds of boxes using this system.

Charles

Offline Duane

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 07:32:06 pm »
I see the rubberhog wheel #122 has a coating of "390".  #120 has "230" as the coating, and #118 with "170".  Not sure what the coatings mean.  I had found some other Kutzall wheels listed as coarse, medium, or fine.  Which one would one want.  I would want one that cuts the wood fairly quickly, but yet not leaving the wood ragged.

Offline CarlinMO

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 01:18:40 am »
Kutzall tools are manufactured with 2 types of coatings and 3 or more grades in each. You want the 390 SSG for fast cutting. Send personal message to me. I am an Oliver Carbide Products retailer and I have 10 sets (flared contour wheel, Polyplug, and arbor) in stock.
 Carlkorsch@aol.com

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 05:43:41 pm »
I've had one his hive handle jigs for about 3 years or more.
I know I've cut over 1,500 hive handles in hives, nucs and so on.
I have not had to clean the Carbide wheel yet.
Best thing is I still have all my fingers.
Very fast and accurate.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 11:01:14 pm »
I haven't gotten one of these yet but I made a  template and armtomount my trim router on. And I can route out panels in seconds. I have it all mounted on a folding work table  takes very little space.

John

Have a total of 20.00 in the whole setup. Got router  and table  from trift store for fifteen dollars.

anything