Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Coyotes and Beehive  (Read 3565 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Coyotes and Beehive
« on: November 21, 2018, 09:36:14 pm »
Anyone ever have trouble with Coyotes ravaging or otherwise harassing there Beehives?  During winter months or another time?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Coyotes and Beehive
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 09:44:57 pm »
Lots of coyotes in this area, they do not bother the bees.  They did kill a couple of kittens playing just outside the gate.  Not my favorite animal, but I leave them be.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 09:58:06 pm »
Wow, that is bad enough.  Poor kittens!  Thanks Mr Van, The reason that I ask I saw one sneaking through my yard at dusk just this evening, headed straight toward the bee hive area. My dog took off after him and I hope the coyote don't return!! I didn't know if the coyotes have a desire for honey bee colonies or not. Back when I use to hunt, I have seen them digging for yellow jacket nest.  We didn't know this at first but during the middle of the day we investigated the digging sight and found remnants of yellow jacket nest which had been dug up.

Thanks, Phillip   
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 10:34:29 pm »
One more thing to be concerned with! They live in the woods around me but aren't much trouble. I suspect they have killed a cat from time to time and any chickens they can catch before the yard dogs spot them.
Neill

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 10:46:05 pm »
I have coyotes here at my farm. They take every chicken they can. We turn some of the old ones out sometimes. They never make it more than a couple of days.
I have never had coyotes bother my hives.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 10:52:30 pm »
Thanks for the reassurance folks. Your comments make me feel better! I am thankful that I am not in bear country as some of you! I'm Wishing a Happy Thanksgiving to each of you and each member of our forum!! Have a great day tomorrow!!

Phillip
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 07:00:08 am by Ben Framed »

Offline Sputnik

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 08:15:03 am »
Plenty of coyotes here, they have never bothered my bees. Miss Kitty our 15 year old cat was wounded and got a vet visit yesterday. Kitty is loosing her hearing and not too difficult to sneak up on now. Kitty generally  hangs out with the wood stove in the evenings. Don't know why she wanted to explore the cold night?

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 12:14:48 pm »
I can't speak for coyote vs bees, but I can talk about my dog vs bees;
I used to keep my 2 or 3 hives in a dog run, concerned that my dog might bother them because he liked to snatch flying bees out of the air for a tasty snack. But when my hive count got to the point that I couldn't work in the kennel anymore I removed it, which gave my dog full access to the hives.  The first thing he did was to sniff at the entrance, which resulted in a few stings to the nose and a dog running for the other side of the house. 

NOt to be intimidated, my dog was back in a few minutes prepared to show those nasty little beasties who was boss.  He lifted his leg on the hive to mark 'his' territory and soon had over a dozen bees stinging his tender underside, face and ears.  He yelped, nipped at any bee he could get to then dashed into the house through his dog door.  He was safe from that hive, but had brought several bees into the house tangled in his fur, so continued to get stung.

He treats the bees with more respect now and gives the hives a wide berth.  He still snatches them out of the air when he gets a chance, though.

I wouldn't worry about coyotes vs bees, as I suspect the results would be the same.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 12:31:31 pm »
Ha ha that was funny.  Yes I agree that the spring, summer, and fall will take care of itself. It is the winter months when the bees are huddled up and near dormant that I was concerned about primarily. So far from the replys there seems to be no need for concern.

Thanks, Phillip

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 04:07:27 pm »
Coyotes are pretty stealthy, but as far as I know I've never had an issue that I could blame on them.  I've been suspicious of raccoons and opossums.  Definitely had issues with skunks, mice and voles.  Had empty wets eaten by horses and living hives knocked over by them.  But I don't think the coyotes have ever messed with hives.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 04:30:17 pm »
Coyotes are pretty stealthy, but as far as I know I've never had an issue that I could blame on them.  I've been suspicious of raccoons and opossums.  Definitely had issues with skunks, mice and voles.  Had empty wets eaten by horses and living hives knocked over by them.  But I don't think the coyotes have ever messed with hives.

Ah haa haa haa,  Michael that is funny about the horse. I had a particular horse that was like a pet coon. He would get into something. One day I was working on a fence and looked up. He had pulled my chaps out of the back of the truck. Had one part in his mouth. Standing on the other part, and pulled straight up with his head and my chaps  did the splits!!?  Split them half into!! I haven't thought of that in quite a while. 😁 Thanks to y'all's replys, I feel at ease with the coyotes and bees.    Thanks for your reply.
Phillip

Offline MikeCinWV

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 10:54:32 am »
The coyote you saw at your hives was probably looking for mice around them.  The one you saw digging at the yellow jacket nest was probably there because a skunk had dug the nest earlier.  Coyotes are very attracted to the scent of skunks.  What you need to worry about us your dog.   Coyotes will send in a single tote to lure yiur dig away from the house and right to the waiting oack where they will kill the dog.  Happens alot around here, coyotes everywhere.   Inlaws just had a pack kill a deer outside their bedroom window and now they are freaked out (eldelrly).

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 11:38:41 am »
The coyote you saw at your hives was probably looking for mice around them.  The one you saw digging at the yellow jacket nest was probably there because a skunk had dug the nest earlier.  Coyotes are very attracted to the scent of skunks.  What you need to worry about us your dog.   Coyotes will send in a single tote to lure yiur dig away from the house and right to the waiting oack where they will kill the dog.  Happens alot around here, coyotes everywhere.   Inlaws just had a pack kill a deer outside their bedroom window and now they are freaked out (eldelrly).

Yes you are right about luring the dog away from the house. This has already happened! Thankfully the dog held his own. Though bitten up and bleeding he did a good job! Now he doesn't fare away when they  try to lure him. He lets out a  distinct bark. And stays close, (Within the yard area), and no longer hits the pasture. I had put him up after the attack for a few nights as for fear for his life! A couple nights later, during a drizzling rain, a big big male, was brave enough to come very close to our home and eating  persimmons beneath our  persimmon tree . I eased the rifle slowly out through a gap eased open through the door and that finished the big male coyote problem for the time being.  But there was a drawback to  extinguishing the coyote. When the opportunity like this presents itself, especially with a predator that is out to get your family  dog., And extended member of your family,  The situation must be addressed. Unfortunately during the crisis there is no time to warn ones wife, who had just went sound asleep and totally unaware of the upcoming "boom" that was about to occur! So guess what ah haa haa Ha! Thought she was pleased the the atracker, the predator, the enemy of our family's beloved dog was defended and extinguished, The boom of he rifle was not very well taken!!! Ah haa haa haa .

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 01:08:23 pm »
Phillip,
I?m sure you are going to hear about that for a long time.  :cheesy:
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 06:15:28 pm »
Phillip,
I?m sure you are going to hear about that for a long time.  :cheesy:
Jim

Haa haa you know it !! 😊😁