Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hemp and honeybees  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
Hemp and honeybees
« on: November 14, 2018, 10:23:45 am »
Does anyone have any history or experience with honeybees pollinating hemp?  I?ve heard that honeybees don?t pollinate marijuana but hemp might be different enough that they do.

The reason I ask is we have nearby about 20 acres of hemp that was planted last year.  I believe it?s close enough our bees could have reached it. 

It?s a growing industry and just curious as to what roll honeybees may have in pollinating these crops or what type of honey is produced if any.  Our honey was different this year than last.....tended to sugar much quicker.

Thanks for your input
You are what you think.

Offline robirot

• House Bee
    • Finest German Carnolians and more
Re: Hemp and honeybees
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 10:34:33 am »
Hemp is the same AS Marihuana, both are Cannabis plAnts, polinated by wind and produce no flow. But pollen and rosin can be collected.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 11:08:51 am »
One of our club members got a 2 percent cannabis on his honey analysis from TAMU honey lab.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 11:20:34 am »
I'll bet that perked up  a few feds when that was reported.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 11:32:52 am »
They were already on it we were told

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 02:11:35 pm »
Earlier this year traveling in another county we noticed fields and fields of what looked like hemp. We stopped a took some pics.
Did some research,  came to find out it was
Kenaf

Offline Aroc

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 02:45:15 pm »
There us a lot of confusion on Hemp and Marijuana.  Not the same thing.  Pretty hard if not impossible to get high from Hemp.  It?s a government subsidized experiment across the country.  Highly regulated because of the confusion. 

There are currently 14 farms across Montana that took advantage of this.

Part of this confusion is in how they are pollinated.  I read some beekeepers have been placing hives close to Hemp fields and are in fact getting something from them.  I?ve seen a photo of a bee with pollen on her legs checking out a Hemp plant. 

Just curious if anyone has first hand knowledge of this.
You are what you think.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 05:10:44 pm »
George Wahington grew hemp -- probably the kind used to ake rope, but you never know. The government promoted the growth of hemp during WW 2 in the midwest, I think.  Is this where "ditch weed" came from?  People do get high from it, don't they? 
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 08:06:16 pm »
Marijuana was made illegal by a push from timber companies, not because it is a drug. I was always told it was because of the government wanting  to get rid of Mexicans who used it heavily, it was the timber companies.
Jim
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 10:28:02 pm by sawdstmakr »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline robirot

• House Bee
    • Finest German Carnolians and more
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 08:47:04 pm »
George Wahington grew hemp -- probably the kind used to ake rope, but you never know. The government promoted the growth of hemp during WW 2 in the midwest, I think.  Is this where "ditch weed" came from?  People do get high from it, don't they?
Nope, the knd used for growing industrial use for producing fibres is a way newer breed with low THC and high fibre count.

The time when Washington grew it, was way more into the wild type. So normal THC ammounts. The reason he grew it, was the use to smoke it against toothache, there he won't get much help from low THC/CBD fibre strains (also how far was the breeding of canabis during that time and how much was available during war time?)