Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: goldenrod flow is peaking in middle georgia.  (Read 3058 times)

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
goldenrod flow is peaking in middle georgia.
« on: October 10, 2014, 09:27:37 pm »
the bees are wearing it out finally.  i picked up on a few hives this evening and they've easily gained 40 or 50 pounds in the last week or so. 

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: goldenrod flow is peaking in middle georgia.
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 02:24:26 am »
Mine started to smell first of the week.  It should last for awhile here.

Joe

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 10:15:30 am »
last year they worked right up until the first frost.  i let all the hives backfill the brood chambers with it and didn't have to feed until january.  i've got supers on a lot of hives this year. 

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 02:07:42 pm »
All over with here in Mt Juliet. A little pollen still coming in.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 03:22:12 pm »
went through a few hives earlier and they are all backfilling the brood chambers and just starting to move into some supers.
sterling, i've got a litter of pups with a good bit of quick's champ blood.  unfortunately i think the father is a blue heeler.  i'm giving them away if you want to try one.  i'm not telling many people what they actually are, there are breeders that think i should kill them and would be mad if i knew i was letting tainted blood into their lines.  i just like dogs and hunting squirrel, i don't care what percentage of champ they have if they'll tree.  a certain old timer tells me that riverun j d was found at the dump as a puppy.

Offline Beewildered61

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 05:25:04 pm »
 Hey 10framer,

You aren't very far south of me!  :) Mine had kind of went into a lull, until about 2 weeks ago, then they started cranking up. I've got supers on too, and my girls are very active, seeing lots of goldenrod around, but none is on my property. There is some kind of weed, I have two bushy ones right beside my patio, that have small flowers that look like daisy's, and the bees are all over them....

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 08:03:15 pm »

There is still yellow on them here and the hives still smell like it. 2 days ago, they were packing in the pollen like crazy, but today was half pollen, half something?

How do you know when it is over?

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 10:06:28 pm »

There is still yellow on them here and the hives still smell like it. 2 days ago, they were packing in the pollen like crazy, but today was half pollen, half something?

How do you know when it is over?

The blooms are drying up and the bees are not coming and going like they do when there is something blooming to get nectar from.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 10:18:28 pm »
Its over when the first frost turns them all brown. 

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 01:13:34 am »
Hey 10framer,

You aren't very far south of me!  :) Mine had kind of went into a lull, until about 2 weeks ago, then they started cranking up. I've got supers on too, and my girls are very active, seeing lots of goldenrod around, but none is on my property. There is some kind of weed, I have two bushy ones right beside my patio, that have small flowers that look like daisy's, and the bees are all over them....

might be ragweed.  it's all over my place too.  it looks like a bee superhighway in the yard but the smell is gone now.  i'll probably go through a few hives tomorrow and see what's going on.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 10:39:07 am by 10framer »

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 06:14:46 am »
The bright yellow is turning brownish to brown around here as well. My sister bush hogged about an acre next to my yard a few months ago. What I found interesting is it set back the golden rod bloom. The area she bush hogged is in it's golden rod bloom prime now.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 10:40:05 am »
with last week's rain that's good timing gary

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 10:00:10 pm »
Rob, that got me to thinking. There's probably 10 to 20 acres of nothing but pretty much goldenrod within eyesight of my place. I could do that in one field and extend the flow. I'll have to get permission first. The other problem is the bees will not work the field right next to the hives, they fly a couple hundred yards to another area. I just figured it bloomed first.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything