Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A tree fell on my hive.  (Read 3940 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: A tree fell on my hive.
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 01:53:31 pm »
Alan, I had a situation last fall where one of my hives was knocked over creating a real mess as the frames were from cutout, rubber banded, filled frames. A bad mess !! I salvaged what ckukd be. Searches and searched for the queen. No sign of her. I preferred 4 queens from David at Barnyard Bees, I was thinking oh well the damage is done. I might as well make splits with what is left. The queens came in  I checked once more to make sure there wasn't a queen.  Amazingly there she was, and me with four new queens. So I split them anyway, along with borrowing a few frames from other hives. I am happy to tell you this turned out to be a blessing. Went into fall, instead of one hive, five nucs, and so far 05 or still thriving, along with my other cut out hives. What started as a bad situation, turned out to be a blessing.  This was done by voice text. Please excuse any wrong words or misspellings as I do not have time to edit at this time.
Phillip

2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 03:19:59 pm »
No worries Phillip. That sounded like it ended very well. This may end up a good thing, as I am not happy how this genetic line of bees has wintered, handled the mites, and come out of winter. I have 2 hives from this line, and they both have struggled. Recently I had lunch with the friend that gave me both genetic lines, and he told me that the parent line of these 2 did not make it thru the winter, which didn't surprise me. So I was planning to requeen this line of hives in may after the main flow is over, but I may be forced to do it earlier - which will probably increase my overall production for the season anyways.

Alan
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2019, 05:25:14 pm »
Mr. Cool: Bitterroot valley 2 decades lots of bees and yellow jackets out the waszoo there.  Lewistown, 5 years.  Don?t think bees would do well in Lewistown, Central Montana, due to much wind East of the Rockies.  Queens would seldom return for mating flights, foragers the same.  I have never seen honeys bees nor wasp in central Montana, the wind is constant 335 days a year.  Almost every day.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2019, 10:53:45 pm »
Stinger, very beautiful areas. I have a lot of friends in Park and Gallatin counties. Very pretty. ... but AZ is warmer  :happy:
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2019, 10:06:04 am »
Ace, that is some fast growing grass! Nice backyard also. Me-thinks that backyard needs some bees to be complete.  :grin:
That would go over big with the HOA!  Some dang fool is going rampant about squirrels in her house saying the community is infested with rats.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2019, 03:36:36 pm »
Ace, that is some fast growing grass! Nice backyard also. Me-thinks that backyard needs some bees to be complete.  :grin:
That would go over big with the HOA!  Some dang fool is going rampant about squirrels in her house saying the community is infested with rats.

Hahaha! That sounds like Florida Ace - that place has its upsides, and downsides.

Maybe an acre of land nearby? Land is pretty cheap in places. Just a thought. :grin:

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2019, 04:31:36 pm »
A quick update on this ...

After nearly 3 weeks of cold and rain, it finally warmed up and dried out enough to open the hive and check the damage. Good news - somehow the queen survived the ordeal! Over 10 (med) frames of brood that should be hatching soon, and a good flow going. Hopefully this hive can take advantage of the season after all. Yay!   :smile:

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2019, 06:29:19 pm »
CoolBees: that is cool, what we used to say as kids.  Good your queen made it.

That would go over big withthe HOA!  Some dang fool is going rampant about squirrels in her house saying the community is infested with rats.

Ace, here is what to do.  Tell the dang fool the one that can?t distinguish a squirrel from a rat,,,, tell the fool that HoneyBees hate and kill rats on site.  Want proof you say, well just look inside any beehive and I guarantee you will not find a rat in the hive.  There is your proof.  Hopefully the fool will stock up on beehives and generate some business for those kind Florida beeks that have posted pics and texted about pollen, nectar, brood and oh ya lush green grsss.  I luv reading about active bees in Fl, Az, As well as other warm places as my bees are mostly clustered.
Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2019, 07:19:21 pm »
Allen, that is good news! I know that you are happy about the results. As I told you in post 20 My simular situation ended with more good for me than I had even hoped, I considered this to be a blessing for me, I just came in from checking on these late fall splits and all have survived thus far. Wishing more blessings and good things for you as well!
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2019, 10:43:12 am »
CoolBees: that is cool, what we used to say as kids.  Good your queen made it.

That would go over big withthe HOA!  Some dang fool is going rampant about squirrels in her house saying the community is infested with rats.

Ace, here is what to do.  Tell the dang fool the one that can?t distinguish a squirrel from a rat,,,, tell the fool that HoneyBees hate and kill rats on site.  Want proof you say, well just look inside any beehive and I guarantee you will not find a rat in the hive.  There is your proof.  Hopefully the fool will stock up on beehives and generate some business for those kind Florida beeks that have posted pics and texted about pollen, nectar, brood and oh ya lush green grsss.  I luv reading about active bees in Fl, Az, As well as other warm places as my bees are mostly clustered.
Blessings
That's funny Van!  Partly, because there are people that would fall for that.

Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

anything