Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Apimondia 2019 in Montr?al  (Read 6768 times)

Offline Beelab

• House Bee
Apimondia 2019 in Montr?al
« on: June 03, 2019, 06:40:41 am »
Starting this thread to talk about all aspects of apimondia 2019.
All excited, will be my first time to attend.

Would love to hear from people who were at previous events.
Is it true there is a lot to learn about apitherapy?
How did you go in the honey competition?

Do you know Montreal and recommend stuff to do or see?

There is soooo much I?d like to talk about, but being isolated out here (in Australia), my best bet is to ask on this forum.  :embarassed:

Who is going?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Apimondia 2019 in Montr?al
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 11:17:31 am »
I spent several hours trying to sign up, tried every bank card I have and it would accept none of them... I was planning to go, but I gave up.  If they can't take my money, I don't know how to arrange it and I got frustrated enough I don't care anymore...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline derekm

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 07:29:33 pm »
Might see you there I got an abstract accepted to make an oral presentation. :cool:
If they increased energy bill for your home by a factor of 4.5 would you consider that cruel? If so why are you doing that to your bees?

Offline Beelab

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 09:42:07 pm »
I spent several hours trying to sign up, tried every bank card I have and it would accept none of them... I was planning to go, but I gave up.  If they can't take my money, I don't know how to arrange it and I got frustrated enough I don't care anymore...

Try again Michael. I didn?t have a problem at all. Apimondia management seems to be in Italy.
The website isn?t easy to navigate at all, even after sign up. We booked for a tour to Miels d?Anicet, but didn?t receive confirmation, so it?s all a bit unclear. But they took our money.
Would be awesome to meet you there. Half expected you to do a talk.You are one of my mentors after all, if unknowingly.  :grin:

Derekm, yes, see you there. What is your talk about?

Getting excited. Visa, flights, hotel, all booked and done.

Can anybody tell me how best to get from Boston to Montreal? Have 48 hours for that stretch and want to see as much as I can.

Offline derekm

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 06:46:10 pm »
The title is 'Thermofluid analysis of the extended phenotype of a honey bee colony '
Just as you have to see in UV to see in full what a honey bee sees, you need to use the science of thermofluids to see in full what the honey bees do with their nests.
Extended phenotype is a fancy word to say for some animals they are more than just their flesh. The classic example is the beaver. A beaver is not really being a beaver without its dam. Its easy to see the water in the beavers dam. With honey bees they are "damming" at multiple fluids but these fluids are not visible to the naked human eye.
If they increased energy bill for your home by a factor of 4.5 would you consider that cruel? If so why are you doing that to your bees?

Offline Beelab

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 07:11:23 pm »
The title is 'Thermofluid analysis of the extended phenotype of a honey bee colony '
Just as you have to see in UV to see in full what a honey bee sees, you need to use the science of thermofluids to see in full what the honey bees do with their nests.
Extended phenotype is a fancy word to say for some animals they are more than just their flesh. The classic example is the beaver. A beaver is not really being a beaver without its dam. Its easy to see the water in the beavers dam. With honey bees they are "damming" at multiple fluids but these fluids are not visible to the naked human eye.
Right up our alley.    :grin: looking forward to your presentation.