Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: House of Cards  (Read 3500 times)

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
House of Cards
« on: March 11, 2016, 08:57:28 pm »
I just got netflix a couple months ago. Just started watching House of Cards. I run across several post on the internet about Frank tapping/ burying his ring. And in my opinion the answers were not even close. Several even mentioned symbolically toughing his knuckles for the fight by not having the ring on when he taps.

Actually I have not seen him tap without THE RING. The end of season 2 tells it all. Obviously it is a local SC thing. Folks that do not understand... are not aware or missing the point of what school the writers are patterning The Sentinel after.

Another little hint, the author, Pat Conroy just passed..... Rest in Peace Mr. Conroy.
John 3:16

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Re: House of Cards
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 12:09:04 am »
If you like House of Cards, watch the BBC original version, which (IMHO) is better, more subtle, and far superio to the American version. 

We're re-watching season 3 in preparation for watching season 4.  It's so long between seasons, one forgets what's going on.  Good for you for watching from the beginning.  But after you finish, catch the BBC version.  Then get back to us with a report, okay?
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 01:55:29 am »
And where do I find the BBC version... all this is new to me. American version I'm on season 3 around episode 7.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 12:35:33 pm »
I got it on Netflix.  Don't know if it can be streamed.  I'll check.  It starred Ian Richardson.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 12:39:08 pm »
Looks like it can be streamed.  It's a trilogy.  Much tighter, more to the point story line than the American version, wich has a lot of subplots.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 07:17:14 pm »
I'll check it out and heard to imagine it without Kevin Spacey.....???

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 08:39:22 pm »
It has been so long since I watched seasons 1 and 2 that your references in the OP are a mystery to me.  I've been rewatching season 3 to prepare me to watch season 4.  There are so many twists and turns in the series that we have trouble keeping up. 

It's interesting to see actors that we've seen in other series.  Last night there was a woman that lookd familiar and we debated where we had seen her.  My wife said Justified and I said Deadwood.  Interesting that Timothy Oliphant was in both series.  IMDB said it was Deadwood.  See if you spot her in seasonn 3.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 09:09:43 pm »
Actually the open remark I made about the ring after researching Frank did tell that he tapped the ring to toughen for the fight as his dad would say. But was it a lie because he is so fond of his dad.

Of course The Sentinel is meant to be "The Citadel" . And them boys are proud of that ring. The Citadel once wielded a lot of power on the East coast in particular in SC. A tight web of Alumn. Thus the "Ring Knockers"

Actually the ring that is sold as the House of Cards ring is a close replica to the SC Military School's. I hear the school was not very happy about it, just hear say. And later I think some of it ties into Frank burying the ring. I think the writers are well aware that some of this may have a double meaning and they tapped into that.

Oh yea if you follow my post much you may remember that a close member of my household is a wearer of "The Ring" and not The house of Cards one.

http://www.geekgoo.com/house-of-cards-ring-100-real-solid-925-sterling-silver-p-241.html

« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 10:09:00 pm by sc-bee »

anything