Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Any trappers?  (Read 2956 times)

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Any trappers?
« on: December 03, 2019, 12:00:41 pm »
Anyone else trap?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Any trappers?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 01:37:40 pm »
Only rabbits and raccoons, then only enough to eat. No fur trapping, and live traps only.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 03:07:25 pm »
>Anyone else trap?

Not in a long time.  Never a lot.  Back when I had chickens I probably trapped more cats that were eating my chicks or dogs that were eating my chickens or skunks that were eating my bees than I ever did foxes and coyotes.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 07:20:33 pm »
A little bit.
Plan on a little more this winter.
Just checking out the hobby.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 08:17:13 am »
I?m a coyote trapper. But I do catch bobcats and beavers when needed

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 03:39:06 pm »
I have a trap brand for the place here. I go out and thin the critters when I start losing chickens. I took my trapper test last month to be able to trap all over but when I saw the trapper tag was almost $60 and did not even cover bobcat (another $34) I backed off. I have had good luck with a DP trap for coon but no luck this time. I put out snares and did not realize how powerful a coyote was. I had put the swivel around a 30? piece of #4 bar but did not have a nut welded to the end of it. The rebar tie wire that I had used for a stop on the end did not hold. It almost looked like he was working that stake out of the ground.
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 07:51:48 am »
I did a little bit of trapping when I was 12. I found out real quick how hard a opossum skull is.
I also learned not to put my stretched raccoon hides on the roof. My neighbors dog howled at that thing all night. 🤣 My father was not happy when he found out why the dog kept him up all night.
I also put a foot trap out for a coyote when I lived in California. A friends dog was sleeping next to a fence one night and a coyote grabbed its tail and remove all of the skin from the tail. I set the traps on the other side of the fence. I fought one by the toes and it ate the toes off and got away. The coyotes never bothered the dog again.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin