Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Summary of currently used SHB control methods anywhere?  (Read 3418 times)

Offline ugcheleuce

• House Bee
Summary of currently used SHB control methods anywhere?
« on: September 18, 2014, 03:19:53 am »
Hello everyone

Since SHB has officially been spotted in the wild in Europe about two weeks ago (Italy, university bait hive), us beeks at this side of the pond have been brushing up on SHB control methods.

There seems to be a great variety of methods and products out there (often with overlapping names).  Do you know of a summary or introductory definitive list of those methods/products (including e.g. links to videos at each entry that definitely show that particular product)?

It would seem to me a great idea to have such a topic as a sticky (one for varroa, too).  Once I know what's available, I can google for their effectiveness myself, so all that's needed is a list.

One such summary is here although it doesn't link to any pages, and so one is at the mercy of Google to guess correctly which image is the real image of each product.

Thanks
Samuel
--
Samuel Murray, Apeldoorn, Netherlands
3 hives in desperate need of requeening :-)

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
Re: Summary of currently used SHB control methods anywhere?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 10:41:54 am »
at our club first month entered hives hundreds of SHB's crushed them right on the lid.
closed the hive.

next month just a few. 2 months later none

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 10:34:08 pm »
Samuel,
I use screen bottom boards SBB with oil trays. My first 2 years, the oil trays killed thousands per hive per month. I also use screen top boards, STB. The beetles smell the hive and get trapped on top of the screen. I kill the beetles I find in the STB.
If you want to see how many SHBs are attacking your hives, place a STB on a hive, remove the cover an half an hour before sunset and count the SHBs you kill as they land on the screen.
I killed about a 100 before it got too dark to see them land the first time I put one on after making it late one evening.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 09:26:03 pm »
What Jim said. I started having a problem then I put the oil traps on. Now when I inspect the most I've every found is about 5. Normally 0 to 1 or 2.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything