Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hives bought at auction. How should I store them until spring?  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Wrightstuff

• New Bee
Hello, I am new to the board. Last weekend I purchased some used hives at auction as I would love to get into beekeeping. I have about 12 supers, 7 deep boxes, many super frames (some with comb and some with wax foundation), etc, etc. I don't own or have room for a freezer. I am wondering the best way to store everything to avoid wax moths etc. I have a million other questions but thought I'd start with this. Any advice would be appreciated! I live in western Nebraska and cant wait to get started! Thanks, everyone!

Offline WillH

• New Bee
Re: Hives bought at auction. How should I store them until spring?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 06:19:58 pm »
The boxes can be stored as they are, indoors. Same with frames with foundation. Frames with combs need to be protected from wax moths. You can put them in garbage bags and seal them with sealing tape. Then put them in the freezer for a minimum of 48 hours. This will kill any wax moths and their eggs. Then you can take them out of freezer and store them. Make sure that they remain sealed until you are ready to use them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 09:31:09 pm »
Wright stuff,
Get some  Bacillus thuringiensis. It is not a poison, it is a natural bacteria. You use it in a 10% mixture, 90% water,  spray it on the drawn frames. It is a bacteria that works in the moths larvae's gut and stops it from eating. It does not bother bee larvae. Home Depot caries it in a small bottle at about a 95% mixture.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 01:11:39 pm »
I put aluminum foil on the floor, stack boxes 6-8 high,put a paper plate with moth crystals (Para-Moth® Wax Moth Control (Mann Lake's)) about 6-8 table spoons. Then I cover with more foil and a piece of wood, the size the box so all is closed up. I have not had any problems since I started this. NOTE: I also air out the supers for 2-3 weeks before using them in the spring.   - Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

anything