Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Milk Goats  (Read 6134 times)

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
Milk Goats
« on: December 25, 2010, 09:31:31 pm »
Those of you who have milk goats let me hear from you.
What kind you have and how they do.
Would like to have the hornless type but don't think it would affect the milk any.
Just for the goats safty, not getting their horns hung up in things, fences etc. :)don2

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Re: Milk Goats
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 12:16:55 pm »
The ones that I used to milk were French Alpines. Good milkers, great attitude and far less vocal than a Nubian. I could expect at least a gallon from one Alpine doe that I had everyday. I kept a stainless steel milk container in the freezer, when I came home with the milk pan, I ran it through the strainer into the super cold milk pail. The key was to chill it as quickly as possible to lock in a good fresh flavor.  The reason I got into dairy goats in the first place was due to my oldest son. He was allergic to baby formula and the wife couldnt breast feed so a doctor recommended goats milk. If a little milk is all your looking for, look up Nigerian Dwarfs. They are good, small milkers with great dispositions.  I have 2 of them now, however I havent found a good buck to put with them yet. Most people that raise a dairy goat for milk will already have them dehorned when they sell them.

Heres you a couple of links:

http://www.adga.org

and

http://www.hoeggergoatsupply.com

Hoegger is where I bought all my milking supplies and great people to deal with. They have a nice catalog that they will send you.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 02:11:22 pm »
Don't believe hornless goats exist, something you have to do or as mentioned, the person you buy them from. I like goat's milk better than cow's any day of the week, just goes down sooooo smooth!

I get mine from a lady in Summit, Mississippi. Hers are a cross of Nubian and something else, can't remember what at the moment. She has a nice little set up going, milking stalls with stainless everything except of course the milk hoses themselves.

The goats go into the stall for a bite to eat while they're being milked, its a pretty cool set up.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 02:59:44 pm »
JP, I wondered if they had mini milking machines for goats. I learned to milk cows early on and I can still wrap my big mitts around a cows teat. Goats on the other hand look like a two finger job on those small nubbins. Besides without a raised stand I can't bend down low enough.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 06:15:49 pm »
Yup, they have milking machines for goats but I never used one. Alot of people will keep a few Nubians or at least breed a few percentages into their herds to increase the butterfat content of the milk.

JP--Gonna hafta brew Schawee up a goat milk milk shake  :-D

We had a family reunion one time. .

I had a lot of people say they wouldnt touch goats milk no matter what you told them. Sooooo..I made up some banana pudding, ice cream and a few other things and took down there. After it was all gone, I then told them about my caprine ingredient. If I hadn't told, no one would ever have been the wiser. The only thing was that I learned real quick to remove all the wild onions from the goat lot. Shooo weeee.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 06:43:28 pm »
On bending down to milk goats, any table will work.   They love it up there.  Hoegger goat supply is in Georgia and the stuff you can get for the goats is amazing. 

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 03:27:28 am »
JP:  hornless goats do exist, I have 2 poled (born hornless) toggenberg does.

Toggenbergs are a good choice, a little bigger than the dwarf or pigmy goats, quiet (don't blaat alot), and easy to milk. 
For milking build a table about 18-20 inches high with a means of restraining the head (stantion or halter), and a feed box so they can eat grain while being milked.  Milker should be able to stand behind the goat, chin on tailbone, and milk by hand. 
If you want to milk the goat make her a pet to the point of being a pest...the friendlier the doe the easier to train to milk and easier to milk.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 05:29:28 pm »
Thanks for the info Brian, I didn't know they existed.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 06:48:30 pm »
Thanks for the info Brian, I didn't know they existed.

...JP

I didnt either. I knew that the Lamanchas were earless but I didnt know that there was a polled variety.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2222/2152023798_93c32e3435.jpg

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 10:39:38 pm »
I am selling out on my Nigerian Dwarfs.  They give about 2 qts. per day of a very sweet milk, not goaty!  I have two milking stachions if anyone in GA needs them.  I enjoyed the Nigerians, but we are traveling too much for me to keep them in milk.  We had 5 kids last year from them.  Nigerians do not need much room, eat relatively little but produce enough milk for a family of 4, from just one doe.  I dehorned using an iron.  I did all 5 kids, it was my first time and all turned out great even 1 year later.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 01:00:57 pm »
If you were a shade bit closer, I would be game for all of them. I have 2 Nigerian does that would appreciate the company.

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 11:14:00 pm »
VolunteerK9

I sent you a PM.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants