Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen cells  (Read 9888 times)

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
Re: Queen cells
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2015, 09:25:40 pm »
I re-read my entries and the replies. There must have been some misunderstandings as to what I did. On the 24 of March I split the only overwintered hive I had. I "removed" the queen myself, along with a few frames of capped brood and a couple frames of food.  {a week} later I had queen cells, as I expected I would. 3 frames had cells, I removed 2 of these frames, each had 2 cells. Made my 2 new nuke's, The frame I left in the mother hive produced a queen which is doing well. The queen split off is also doing good. After I gave the two nuke's time enough to show if they had a mated queen or not is when I found eggs in the one but not the other. I added a frame of brood to the one that had no eggs. a week later I added another frame of eggs/brood and got two queen cells. Now,  I found the capped queen cells this past Wednesday. How long should I wait to check to see if I have a laying queen? d2

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2015, 09:38:04 pm »
I would say the day you added that frame, and then 30-35 days later.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 12:37:06 am »
I'll second that.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline drjeseuss

• House Bee
  • The bees know better...
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 02:15:14 pm »
Be VERY careful that you don't fuss with them during their sensitive days.  I have one I pulled by mistake.  I was VERY gentle with the frame the whole time, and returned it as soon as I noticed the cell.  Still, when I checked on her day after hatch, she had bad wings, unable to attempt flight.  This may have been me, maybe DWV, maybe something else...  in any case, do be careful while they are changing.  I don't have any other signs of DWV in my hives, so I blame the handling.  Sensitive days are from capping day to about 5 days after.  She will emerge about 7 days after capping (day 16 total).  Day 5-6 (14-15 days total) is usually when cells are moved to nucs, just prior to emergence.
Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
-Proverbs 16:24

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2015, 09:54:30 pm »
Checked it today, she is a nice one. Finally, it took 2 month and 2 frames of brood added. They got a queen on the second frame of added brood. So I now have 10  medium frames of bees with a new queen. I say if you have a colony that loses the queen, add a frame of brood a week if you can not come up with a queen asap. d2

Offline rookie2531

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2015, 09:25:13 am »
That's cool, its always a good feeling when you get one laying. Congrats.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2015, 10:39:07 pm »
Nice job Don.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2015, 10:27:41 pm »
I back trailed all my actions from the day I made my split till the end. I think I found why my two nuke's failed to get a queen. I moved the queen to begin with and let the mother hive make the cells. when I did the split to divide  up the cells I used a wheel barrow to transport the two splits, there was a couple good jolts en route to the new location. The parent hive was the only one that ended up with a queen with out any trouble.  Still learning.   d2 :wink:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2015, 05:52:25 am »
I back trailed all my actions from the day I made my split till the end. I think I found why my two nuke's failed to get a queen. I moved the queen to begin with and let the mother hive make the cells. when I did the split to divide  up the cells I used a wheel barrow to transport the two splits, there was a couple good jolts en route to the new location. The parent hive was the only one that ended up with a queen with out any trouble.  Still learning.   d2 :wink:
Don,
The queen cells have certain times when they are very sensitive to movement, even turning them on their sides damages their ovaries. They need to bee within a couple of days before hatching before you can move them.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2015, 01:50:19 pm »
Checked my queen today. Been two weeks from first seeing her. solid capped brood on one frame, partial on another, saw her again, closed it up. :happy: d2

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2015, 10:58:57 pm »
Way to go Don.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2016, 12:48:45 am »
Checked it today. doing fine. added another box.

anything