Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Back and Forth Weather  (Read 1344 times)

Online FatherMichael

• House Bee
Back and Forth Weather
« on: February 23, 2021, 05:07:12 pm »
We've had quite an ordeal here in Texas the last couple of weeks.  We've gone from an Arctic blast down to 1* to 77* right now, giving me a chance to check on the bees and add feed if needed because it will surely get cold again.

The rescued hive in my back yard looks great!  They are bringing in a lot of pollen today.  The Henbit is blooming and Dandelions will soon appear but we are a long way from any kind of flow.  In fact, this is the danger period when food supplies are critical, right?

I'm worried about a few Small Hive Beetles that were in one hive at the farm the last time I checked.

Had shoulder surgery so Mary will have to help me this time.  There is no heavy lifting involved but I've got a wing in a sling and cannot do much right now but run the smoker.

Just back from the farm -- all's well at Deep Creek Apiaries.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:47:50 pm by FatherMichael »
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
Re: Back and Forth Weather
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 07:39:39 am »
Good luck and make sure you let that shoulder heal. Had the same last year after back surgery wanted in to the bees so bad. My loving wife opened my hives and showed me frames.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 07:49:11 am »
Medic and Michael. You have loving wives. My wife also likes me keeping bees, but she admires and encourages from afar... although she did suit up and help me move a hive last year.

Online FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 10:01:02 am »
Mary is amazing.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 11:00:13 am »
Take it easy with the shoulder Padre.  I had my own shoulder given an overhaul in Nov '19.  It was a complicated surgery and a long recovery ordeal for me and it still reminds me I'm no longer invincible.  Keep to the rehab and don't take any chances with it.  BTW, your days as a MLB pitcher are over  :wink:   But if your dear lady is willing to help you with the hives, you are truly blessed.
As far as the freeze goes, I've read old books and magazine articles that clearly demonstrate this storm was not as "unprecedented" as the news outlets are calling it.  Your great grand kids can expect another much like it.

Well wishes for your recovery.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Online FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 02:07:52 pm »
Thanks, Hops.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 04:26:27 pm »
Father, Bob, Medic, Hops, you fellas are inspirational.  Let me explain,  I just had both shoulders X-rayed, like yesterday, Tuesday.  The pain dictated this.  I hate the pain meds so I quit OxyContin, last month (abrupt cessation) and now face a decision: surgery or daily pain?  Not sure what to do at this point but you fellas, EACH of you, are inspiring.

Surgery:  I have no help with my bees although my wife is a real jewel, just so pleasant to be around.  However, I must raise queens this Spring, can?t avoid this, in my blood ya might say.  No way to avoid queen rearing, just so you understand my position.

Maybe July for surgery, queens first.

Regarding the weather, yep, yes Sir, my area, Arkansas was minus 3 F to 74F in a matter of a single week.  As my E Buddy, Hops says, weather patterns shift, it happens, not new.  I will not be suckered into queen rearing during a February chinook only to see March temps fall off a cliff, with constant frost.  I have seen this February warm spell several times and appreciate the warm days but winter is not over in my area.  Your area?

Brother: Kill the beetles any way you can, your thumb, hive tool or a can of freeze spray as I adore.

I saw my first flower today, a beautiful crocus with dandelion sprouting.  Also The birds have started to announce Spring with a barrage of songs in the morning.  What a real pleasure to experience/share this Planet for another beautiful day.  Oh me, oh my, so nice, my bees are flying.

Blessings
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 06:29:36 pm by van from Arkansas »
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 06:58:12 pm »
Van
You got to take care of it, then after the surgery physical therapy is a must.last year I was out of  Commission In spring and didn?t make many splits , was able to make some last fall. Fast forward I continued strengthen my back and so far nock on wood feeling great, I am a couple years younger (43) but this was my 2nd surgery due to work. 

Online FatherMichael

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2021, 07:39:08 pm »
I agree with medic, take care of your shoulders.

It might come before raising queens because the damage to your shoulders will only get worse.  Bees reproduce every few days.  Your health matters once in around 80 years.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 08:16:47 pm »
The rescued hive in my back yard looks great!  They are bringing in a lot of pollen today.  The Henbit is blooming and Dandelions will soon appear but we are a long way from any kind of flow.  In fact, this is the danger period when food supplies are critical, right?

It sure can be a critical time.  Bringing in pollen means brood.  You have a bit of a window between egg-laying and bees, so just keep an eye on the honey availability.  Hopefully, by the time you have a big increase, you'll also have a good flow. 

Maybe your wife can at least take a good flashlight and look at the cells over the brood nest to see if there is enough honey left in there.  If she's not comfortable pulling frames, a good flashlight and a thin blade will hopefully tell the tale. 

Can't help you with the SHB issue.  Fortunately it's not a big problem here.  They don't like our cold so much.  Maybe your freeze helped?  Let us know.  I'd be interested in whether or not it had an impact on the SHBs. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2021, 12:38:14 am »
Medic, Father, Kathy, thank you for concerns and good advice.  Your advice is best for me, I know and I appreciate.  So nice to see caring folks, very touching to my heart,

Last year, I lost my breeder queen of 4 years, 2 months.  Alpha was her name.  I lost my back up breeder queen to some neighbor?s garden insecticide.  So today, I have no special breeder.

I need to generate one special breeder queen: a single drone inseminated queen,  this will be my breeder with the most simple genetics as there is one mom and one dad, therefore all daughters are perfect sisters, clones.  This mono bred queen can generate 100s of daughters pure bred queens/workers that can be bred by natural or inseminated to 8-10 select drones.  I don?t sell the offspring queens but will give away but no shipping.

Medic, I am 67 years old, I don?t even want to think how long my shoulder will be disabled.  I just can?t miss an entire bee season.  Just a few more months is all I need.  Bless you for your concerns, Sir.

BTW, I shot a bow and arrow, every month for 37 years, in Pope and Young record book I am.  Time to pay as I see it.  No complaints as I adored bow hunting.  I think the One above that my shoulders have lasted as long as they have.

Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2021, 12:07:41 pm »
Well, spring is on the doorstep. My winter aconite failed this year, too dry over winter, but the crocus are right on schedule with some spring snow.  Silver maple in about a week. Robins are arguing over territory and the snow that falls melts quickly. 

All 5 hives died because I wasn't able to tend to them in good time last fall. I won't be buying any packages, either.  If I manage to catch a swarm or 2, so bee it.  Otherwise, I have Plenty to keep me busy preparing to get retired within a year.

Get some help if you need to, Van! Even if you have to hire a kid down the street to lift for you.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

anything