Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Plans for a SBB on a TBH  (Read 2819 times)

Offline watercarving

• House Bee
    • John Call Designs
Plans for a SBB on a TBH
« on: January 28, 2008, 03:47:51 pm »
What's the best way to put a screened bottom board on a TBH? I'm thinking I'll have a top entrance but would like to be able to check mite fall.
--------------
www.johncall.com - adventures in woodcarving and country life.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Plans for a SBB on a TBH
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 06:21:50 pm »
Just leave the floor open and tack hardware cloth to the bottom edge of the side boards.  1/4 or 3/8 will let the bees enter and exit that way as well, or you can use #8.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 07:26:28 pm »
>What's the best way to put a screened bottom board on a TBH? I'm thinking I'll have a top entrance but would like to be able to check mite fall.

My long mediums, I jut make the box out of one by eights with a 3/4" deep and 3/8" wide frame rabbet and tack the screen on the bottom.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline watercarving

• House Bee
    • John Call Designs
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 08:12:25 pm »
Did you make something to slide up in there so you could check for mite fall? I'm trying to find the most efficient way to do this on a TBH.
--------------
www.johncall.com - adventures in woodcarving and country life.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 09:59:26 pm »
>Did you make something to slide up in there so you could check for mite fall? I'm trying to find the most efficient way to do this on a TBH.

I did.  I put a one by two frame on to hold the screen and to provide a space.  Then I put a treated two by two "rail" on both sides to hold it up and make a plastic cardboard insert to slide under.  Some baling twine stapled onto the bottom holds it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 11:00:42 am »
Can't help with the SBB, but I did build a couple TBH with openable bottoms.   I left them open in the summer and closed them off in the winter.  Used a couple sheets of coroplast in grooves that I had cut into to bottom of the hive and installed/removed from the backside of the hive.

These hives where sized so I could hang Langstroth deep frames from the top bars.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison