Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First Inspection of the Year  (Read 3760 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Re: First Inspection of the Year
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2019, 10:24:59 am »
I hear the same thing about the Tupelo area. If they find out that you have bees in their area, even on private property, they will burn your hives if they can find them.
Jim

Just currious, are there documented cases of this happening in this day and time, Have these bee burners never had to be concerned with (blow back)? The possibility that these fires may some how, find their way back to their own hives? What about cameras, would cameras not put a stop to this illegal, criminal practice?
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2019, 10:26:13 am »
I checked mine and have larva and bees building, have pollen coming in. I put some megabee in all of them and added 1:1 on my light ones will see how it goes.

Nice !
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2019, 02:27:33 pm »
sounds like the season is starting early, need to get out to the shop and bang together twenty more deep frames. I'm not feeding my bees, there is plenty of Spanish Needle in bloom in the area providing pollen for the early buildup.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2019, 03:16:19 pm »
BEEBOY, that is so cool, good for you to have flowers.  I am still wearing a coat to prevent freezing to death.  But soon, very soon, say 6-8 weeks and my bees will be in business like yours are now.  I can hardly wait.  Keeping posting about the flowers in Florida or wherever, I adore it, even thought I have to bundle up at the moment and my bees are clustered.
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2019, 05:20:40 pm »
I hear the same thing about the Tupelo area. If they find out that you have bees in their area, even on private property, they will burn your hives if they can find them.
Jim

Just currious, are there documented cases of this happening in this day and time, Have these bee burners never had to be concerned with (blow back)? The possibility that these fires may some how, find their way back to their own hives? What about cameras, would cameras not put a stop to this illegal, criminal practice?
Phillip
Probably not, Small County, every one is probably related. They are probably protecting their livelihood.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2019, 07:01:12 pm »
Jim

Phillip
Probably not, Small County, every one is probably related. They are probably protecting their livelihood.
Jim

Those small populated, mostly kin folks areas can be clannish.. Remember the Hatfields and McCoys  fued started over a pig!! Keep em straight Jim !! Wouldn't want a new fued starting Over bees 🐝 😁😊😁
Phillip

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2019, 03:19:12 pm »
Warm, sunny, calm, high 62F,,,  in N. Arkansas.  I can open the lid,top, and provide fondant, yes. To cold for inspections.  I will not remove the top winter board which would expose frames, I am only removing the lid.   But nice to have a sunny day and give the bees some food.

Bees are really taking the sub pollen.  All hives flying.
Blessings
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2019, 02:47:23 pm »
Spotted bright yellow pollen going into all the hives today, it's warm in the lower 70's but a bit windy and I don't want to disturb them any more than I need to right now. The earlier maples are almost in full bloom with others still having last year's leaves, go figure. Need to hit the hives with a OAV treatment soon before the brood laying gets serious.